Washer P-Trap conundrum

Users who are viewing this thread

Ulrik Binzer

Reaction score
I recently had a plumber redo my plumbing for my shower, tub and washer closet which are adjacent to each other. Unfortunately the guy did not put in a p-trap for the washer as required by the California Code and the challenge is now how to fit in a trap given the tight space and other pipes in the area. I have attached a picture with some measures to give you an idea about the current setup and constraints and would appreciate any and all creative suggestions for how to bring this up to CA code.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Laundry closet.jpg
    Laundry closet.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 770

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your "plumber" ran the washer into the tub vent, therefore siphoning the tub trap every time the washer drains, and now the tub vent, which combines with the washer drain is open and allows sewer gas out into the home.

Someone needs to go below the floor, and add a wye and second line up for the washer. The vent for the tub and the vent for the washer (assuming you add a p-trap this time) can reconnect above the washer box.

It looks nice, but it's completely wrong.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
This is a good example of someone who believes that "as long as it works it doesn't make any difference HOW it is installed". Your "plumber", in the words of Benny Hill, is NOT what he is, just what he calls himself. He did it the "easy way", and there is really NO easy way to do it correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks