Master Bath Jacuzzi Tub Operation

Users who are viewing this thread

JPW1

Reaction score
My home has a simple jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom. I haven't really freely used it since I'm so naive about how it should be operated. My concern comes from two intakes that sit higher in the tub from the jets. These intakes have screw fittings that can be adjusted to let in more air. What I wonder about is whether water should be allowed to freely pass through these intakes. I would rather not damage the system if I can help it and I'm not sure about the recommended operation. I could see a few scenarios:

1. The intake can be submerged in water and water may travel through it freely.
2. The intake's valve should be adjusted to allow mostly air to travel through it. If some water gets through it that should be fine, but recommended operation is to allow only air through.
3. Strictly only air should go through this intake. If any water is near it reduce the water level in the tub.

The motor itself works off a timer and I'm pretty impressed by how powerful the motor is. I would feel most comfortable letting as much water through these intakes as possible since the intakes basically sit right where I like the water level. If the manufacturer really hoped for no water to get in to them why not just have them outside the tub? Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

• tub.jpg
    tub.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,446

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The air intakes combine with the water piping from the pump down lower. Whatever water is sucked in, gets pumped back into the tub with the water.

It's not a problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whatever you do, do NOT run the pump unless there is water covering the inlets in the tub. The pump does not like being run dry - the water is the lubricant. Also, if you don't do the periodic cleaning regimen, some nasty stuff can start to grow in the pipes. On some, this is recommended to be done once monthly. To do this, you need some special chemicals.

JPW1

Reaction score
Got it! Don't worry about water flowing through any of the intakes (as a matter of fact it is imperative) AND be sure to clean the conduits properly. As a matter of fact I did unscrew the upper intakes the other day and had to clean them since there was some residue (gunk). I'll be sure to get some chemicals to properly clean the conduits themself as well. It will be nice to take advantage of the jacuzzi now that I feel comfortable operating it properly. Thanks for the help!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The way it looks to me the air intakes are above the overflow on the tub. I don't think you could fill it high enough for water to flow into them.

John

JPW1

Reaction score
The way it looks to me the air intakes are above the overflow on the tub. I don't think you could fill it high enough for water to flow into them.

John

That is a good point, but I can assure you that it can.

I've never really given it much thought since I'm fairly focused on not overflowing the tub. However, I guess I should ask about the design of these overflows. Are they really supposed to be there to *prevent* an overflow? In our case the water pressure is pretty high and the water enters the tub so fast I don't see how this overflow could prevent an actual overflow. It may somewhat slow it down, but that's about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks