Delta RP17453 Single spout tub diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

acalbear

Reaction score
I was having an issue with my apartment shower diverter. Its a tub spout diverter. Upon removal I find that the spout is connected to the water supply via a 1" diameter fitting that is about 2" long. The fitting (or water line come from the wall) has about a 1/4 inch threaded section closest to the wall then at the end that is inserted into the diverter has a rubber gasket. This fitting is inserted into a plastic (nylon?) insert within the diverter itself. Upon searching for a replacement i can only find 1/2" diameter to 3/4" diameter kits. I cannot find any diverters with the 1" threaded connector. Any insight on where to find a replacement would be appreciated.

Thanks from a home tinkerer.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

acalbear

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will snap a picture of it but there were no markings from what I could see. The spout was poorly made with the inner section which blocks the water when the lever is pulled up was made of plastic not all metal. This portion was what was first bent out of shape allowing the water to flow out and then ultimately broke off when I tried to pry it back in place. I will check again for markings.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
we would like to see a picture, but based on your description.. it IS a DELTA. NO OTHER product even close to that. It is the best diverter spout available, also the easiest to replace. Diverter spouts go bad, and I prefer a diverter on the valve body, but there are very few options anymore for that. Just replace the spout when needed.

acalbear

Reaction score
Pictures of water supply line (will snap pictures of Diverter shortly)

IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, the Delta Spout pictured above works on that.
You can also rob the o-ring and reuse on what you have, or solder on the adapter that comes with the spout.

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

Last edited:

acalbear

Reaction score
Not sure I follow so pardon my basic questions. I am looking for a simple replacement for the defective spout. Is the delta spout a direct replacement where I just screw on the spout on the line? Not sure what you mean by solder on the adapter. While I'm certain that I can solder I am trying to find the simplest solution but would like to know the options for future reference. Thanks all for your insight.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know how it can get any simpler.

1) Choice one, go to a plumbing supply and pick up a Delta RP17453, take it out of the wrapper and thread it on what you already have. Plumbers would choose this route.

delta-rp17453-terrylove.jpg

2) Go to a home center, buy a generic spout, remove the adapter by heating it up, and replacing the copper stub-out, then install the piece of junk spout with diverter made god knows where and guaranteed to last a few months.

Last edited:

acalbear

Reaction score
That helped. So the RP17453 is a direct replacement that I would literally just screw on just like I screwed the other spout off. I was thrown off since when i was looking at the 17453 specs its stated 1/2" which wouldnt accommodate the 1" thread adapter. Another search turned up that the 17453 has an adapter to accommodate 1". The second option is to heat up the adapter (which is the threaded section all the way to the end with the rubber gasket) and replace with a more common size. I will look at my original spout and see if its a delta since it appears (from post above) that they warranty their diverters for life.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The adapter fits on a 1/2" pipe. They make adapters to allow it to fit on other sizes...since it is already installed, it's a simple screw-on replacement. It will come with a new adapter...no need to use it, but you may want to take the o-ring off the new one and use it on the old adapter. A little silicon plumber's grease on the o-ring will help it all go together without damage or stress to the rubber parts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leave your adapter alone. Just replace the "O" ring with the one from the new adapter and screw the new spout on. The Delta spout is the ONLY one which will fit that adapter, so it is NOT a question of whether it is a direct replacement or not, because it HAS to be the one you use unless you completely change the mounting method. CALL DELTA.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg
tub-spout-adapter-terrylove-02.jpg

acalbear

Reaction score
The information you all provided was extremely insightful and helpful. I called Delta but they require a receipt for me to obtain a replacement which I nor the apt owner have. I will seek out the device online unless you all have some insight on how to obtain via Deltas warranty. Thanks again for the all the input.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Send them a picture of the old one, with a request for a replacement. Tell them the dog ate the receipt. I have NEVER had to supply a receipt, but then I am not a consumer either.

jdrew27

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the folks over at Delta. After a few minutes of frustration because the units they produce do not have identifying information on them, a measurement of the diverter from my house was found. I was in the same boat wanting a direct replacement but not finding a diverter that had a 1 inch thread for installation. the part number for the direct replacement in my home was RP38450. If you go to Deltafaucets.com you can check out the direct replacements.

The diverter on my unit worked fine until the shower was being used. In my case once the plunger was pulled up the water was finding a crack in the plastic insert which attaches to the adapter and 1/2" copper. The water was escaping outside this plastic insert and entering my walls. After cutting 3 holes in my walls and ceiling, removing the diverter and holding the end with my thumb, I discovered with the diverter off there was not a leak. I changed the o-ring and reinstalled the diverter, water again leaked. I removed the diverter and tested with plugging the copper line with my thumb again and there was no leak. After much testing I found that the water was finding a crack in the insert when the pressure was raised after the plunger was pulled and spraying everywhere.

I love the garrantee that Delta has, but I am pretty sure if this diverter was not all plastic the problem would have never happened to begin with. Delta gave me a 50% discount on the replacement part with a promise to refund if I sent them photos of the faulty part and a page in from my home purchase papers with my name on them. Seemed odd to only want a photo and the copy of my purchase agreement but its not my company. I wish they would have just wanted me to send them the faulty part and call it a day.

Moral of my rant is that there are 1" thread replacements for bath spout/diverters. Delta has them hidden on their website but a few part numbers are RP38450 if the diverter is 7 and 5/8" long, pull top diverter. RP17453 for a 1" thread 5 and 1/2" diverter, push nozzle diverter. The 1" thread works because Delta adds an addapter. This adapter does not need to be removed from your copper pipe if you get a direct replacement, and the direct replacement will come with a new adapter incase you do remove it.

P.S. DO NOT try to unscrew the adapter from your copper pipe. Bad things will happen if you do!

delta_tub_spout_a2.jpg

jpittssr

Reaction score
Tub spout diverter.

I don't know how it can get any simpler.

1) Choice one, go to a plumbing supply and pick up a Delta RP17453, take it out of the wrapper and thread it on what you already have. Plumbers would choose this route.

I want to thank you for this information. I doubt if I would ever found the correct replacement on my own.
I could not find the RP17453. I did find RP147569 which seems to be interchangeable. My original had the lift up knob to divert the water which is same as the Rp147569
Just discarded the new brass piece (after removing O ring) put the new o ring on my old part then screwed the new spout in place.
Nothing could be easier.

redsails

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. Couldn't find a replacement spout anywhere. Diverter on old spout broke, I've been taking a shower by dumping a cup of water over my head. Thanks for the info!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks