Basement Bathtub Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Aprofetto

Reaction score
Hi all, we have a three piece rough-in in the basement. I want to finish it. I am just confused about how to hook the drain up for the tub?

There is 1 1/2" abs coming up from the slab. How does one go about connecting/installing the tub and the drain? Ideally it seems like you would need access from below?

Anyone have any pictures of an install or any advice? Thanks!

Aprofetto

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I gave the plumbing a quick look. Here in Ontario its all 1-1/2" ABS piping with orange caps for the rough-in.

If I tap out a box around the drain say around 12"x12" centered around the drain, how would I then go and install the tub? When I run through the steps in my head, the first step seems like actually setting the tub in place and getting it secure, but then how do I access the plumbing directly below when I need to connect the drain?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You don't.
The plumbing needs to be measured out and fitted before you place the tub. If it's your first, plan on setting and removing the tub a few times to get it right.

Aprofetto

Reaction score
You don't.
The plumbing needs to be measured out and fitted before you place the tub. If it's your first, plan on setting and removing the tub a few times to get it right.

Okay. So the drain and all is setup, then I guess I do a dry trial and see if the tub can sit in place with the drain lined up and fitting together. Then get some ABS cement and throw the tub in place as quickly as possible? Seems like this might be tough.

Ideally I would've liked to install the tub and then do the plumbing, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you have an access panel, it needs to be set in place in one step. That's why plumbers get a bit of money...it takes practice to do it in a timely manner. Also, keep in mind that many tubs really need something underneath them to support them, or they'll flex, eventually crack, and feel insubstantial. This is yet another thing that must be done at the same time. The tub needs to be level side-to-side and front to back.

Aprofetto

Reaction score
Unless you have an access panel, it needs to be set in place in one step. That's why plumbers get a bit of money...it takes practice to do it in a timely manner. Also, keep in mind that many tubs really need something underneath them to support them, or they'll flex, eventually crack, and feel insubstantial. This is yet another thing that must be done at the same time. The tub needs to be level side-to-side and front to back.

If I have access from the one side (drain side), how can I connect the drain after the tub is set in place? Does anyone have any pictures?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What do you think you would you need to glue up after the tub is set? The tub shoe and drain is already in place before you set the tub. The strainer or twist & close assembly screws into the tub shoe from inside the tub.

If you have access from the other side of the wall, you can do some things after the tub is set, but if your measurements are going to be that far off, you might as well leave the hole open in the floor so you could move the trap if need be.

Aprofetto

Reaction score
What do you think you would you need to glue up after the tub is set? The tub shoe and drain is already in place before you set the tub. The strainer or twist & close assembly screws into the tub shoe from inside the tub.

If you have access from the other side of the wall, you can do some things after the tub is set, but if your measurements are going to be that far off, you might as well leave the hole open in the floor so you could move the trap if need be.

Only thing that concerns me is gluing the drain from the tub to the drain in the floor. Is there enough access to do this from the side of the tub? I ask because I've never really seen this done.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on how big the hole is, and if you can access the trap easily, and what's already glued together.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Only thing that concerns me is gluing the drain from the tub to the drain in the floor. Is there enough access to do this from the side of the tub? I ask because I've never really seen this done.

Not so much from the side of the tub where the tub skirt is, but if you can access from the end of the tub, where the plumbing is- that could be helpful. Ideally the back side of the plumbing wall could be built with an access panel so that the supply piping could be accessed in the future. This is common when the plumbing wall backs to a closet.

Aprofetto

Reaction score
Not so much from the side of the tub where the tub skirt is, but if you can access from the end of the tub, where the plumbing is- that could be helpful. Ideally the back side of the plumbing wall could be built with an access panel so that the supply piping could be accessed in the future. This is common when the plumbing wall backs to a closet.

Perfect. I will have access to that side both during the construction process and after it's all done. The tub/shower will back onto a non-finished area in the basement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks