Moving Glued PVC P trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave in WI

Reaction score
I will soon be putting in a new kitchen sink & faucet. By my quick measurements, the garbage disposal will need to move about 2 1/2 inches to the right and 2 inches outward. My issue is, the P trap for the disposer is glued PVC which leads directly to a double wye with no straight pipe to connect to once I cut off the trap.

My thought is to cut it off at the wye and use a Pasco ram bit to remove the pipe from the fitting. Then, cement in a threaded fitting and install a P trap with compression fittings, which will give me some adjustability.

(I've heard of garbage disposal installations with a straight pipe over to the sink drain line before the trap, but I suspect it's a local code issue here, all the installations I have seen have a separate p trap for the disposer.)

Is there an easier way to do this, am I on the right track? Any problems with using a PVC trap w/ compression fittings on a disposer?

Here it is as it sits now:

dave_in_wi_ptrap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your waste line in the wall is too high for either a conventional "continuous waste" connection OR a tubular trap. Your only option is probably another glued together drain, but I would use a trap with a union nut so it can be taken apart for servicing.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That disposer is probably junk as well.
Insinkerator hasn't used that color in about 10 years and that design is probably lucky to make it 5 years...
More than likely there aren't any grinding teeth left inside, plan on a new one.

Dave in WI

Reaction score
Your waste line in the wall is too high for either a conventional "continuous waste" connection OR a tubular trap. Your only option is probably another glued together drain, but I would use a trap with a union nut so it can be taken apart for servicing.

Thanks for the input hj, I will do that. Any words of wisdom on using the ram bit to bore out the wye?

Dave in WI

Reaction score
That disposer is probably junk as well.
Insinkerator hasn't used that color in about 10 years and that design is probably lucky to make it 5 years...
More than likely there aren't any grinding teeth left inside, plan on a new one.

It is about 15 years old, it still seems to work well but it is noisy as all get out. I might as well put in a new one "while I'm in there".

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is about 15 years old, it still seems to work well but it is noisy as all get out. I might as well put in a new one "while I'm in there".

This isn't even open for discussion......the grind chamber teeth are dulled at minimum, probably rusted out. I guarantee that you are PUSHING large food particles out into the drain....clog to follow.

Dave in WI

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice folks, I installed the new faucet, sink & disposer yesterday. Great call on the disposer, the old one was gross inside, and the new one is so much quieter.

Here is the "before" shot, the 15 year old Americast sink stained and chipped, with a leaking American Standard faucet. Don't ever use one of those:
RSoldsinkIMG_1407.jpg

Have to break a few eggs to make an omelet. This was a challenge, the old cutout needed to be about 5/16" larger front & back. I did not want to remove the countertops to cut from underneath, and new tops are not going to happen until we know we will have employment in the future. The front cut I made with a down cut blade in a jigsaw which worked great. The back was more challenging because it was so close to the backsplash. I ended up using a rotozip with a spiral cut bit which worked great, until at the last moment when I slipped and scratched the countertop. :-( It will have to wait but they will probably be replaced with granite in a few years.
RSholeIMG_1413.jpg

As I said the rotozip worked great, except I didn't anticipate all the dust...
RSsmileyIMG_1417.jpg

And here is the after shot. Insinkerator Evolution Compact disposer, Elkay 25010L4 sink, Moen Level kitchen faucet with sprayer and soap dispenser:
RSnewsinkIMG_1421.jpg

There were many times yesterday that I was thinking, I should have hired a pro, but now that it's done I'm happy. The Ram Bit worked well but I had to sand the inside of the joint quite a bit, the pipe would not go into the fitting properly the first time I tried to glue it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks