Minimum distance from trap to sani-tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I've read about maximum distances allowed from the trap to the sani-tee (and vent) but I was wondering if there is a minimum horizontal distance that should be maintained. In other words can the j bend be trimmed to a shorter length if desired? We'd be using 1 1/2" pipe at this location. I also have a 2" trap for the washer that will connect to a sani-tee that will not be in the wall. Is there a minimum length for the pipe coming from the trap to the sani-tee and vent?

Thanks

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
I posted an identical question sometime ago and got some very interesting answers. I tried lifting the title of that thread and placing it in this post but I'm not sure it worked. At any rate, the thread can now be found in the Code Question forum, UPC. The title of the thread is:

trap arm question, UPC.

If I didn't successfully insert a link to my past thread, maybe someone can do that for me.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since the code says 2 pipe diameters developed length from the weir of the trap to the inner edge of the vent, I think in practical terms, it would be hard NOT to meet that spec.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Or a crown vented trap if the drain was on the horizontal. Either way it's illegal, at least under the UPC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks