Proper Venting for a Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

stilinsm

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel. Replacing a standard 30x60 tub with a shower, so I had to replace the 1.5" drain with 2". also had to reroute the vertical vent just a bit to accommodate a shower niche.
Looking for some advise before I glue everything up..

Is this venting proper or do I have it all wrong?

The wye to the vent isn't horizontal. I've got it as vertical as possible so as to stay below the subfloor.

stilnsm_vent.jpg

stilnsm_shower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Doesn't look good to me... You're flat for 2 feet below the floor with your 1.5" before going vertical...

Everything fits differently when you apply glue by the way, this type of pipe isn't meant to be dry-fitted, your pipe wont bottom out in the socket w/out glue.

stilinsm

Reaction score
Doesn't look good to me... You're flat for 2 feet below the floor with your 1.5" before going vertical...

Everything fits differently when you apply glue by the way, this type of pipe isn't meant to be dry-fitted, your pipe wont bottom out in the socket w/out glue.

Ok, that's why I'm here. How should I vent this shower drain? The wye is rotated just enough so as not to go above floor joist level. The 2 feet of vent does have a little pitch to it.... admittedly not much.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent cannot run under the floor. The wye for the vent must come up into a wall so that the vent is vertical.

NO part of the vent can be run at less than a 45 degree angle until it reaches a level at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture.

Last edited:

Gsalet

George the Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.PlumbingPro.com
I agree it is not the beest configuration but Uniform Plumbing code allows flat venting due to structural conditions, check your local building department. Is there any way to lower the 90 degree ell?

stilinsm

Reaction score
Hey thanks guys for some helpful advise ...

I agree it is not the beest configuration but Uniform Plumbing code allows flat venting due to structural conditions, check your local building department. Is there any way to lower the 90 degree ell?

The top plate of the lower wall is offset from the bottom plate of the bathroom wall, and the original 1.5" drain for the tub was vented vertical, so I'm guessing the structural condition rule was invoke when the house was inspected 12 yrs ago. This configuration adds another 6" or so to the horizontal vent. Both the vent and the wye are sloped downward toward the drain. The 90 ell can be dropped maybe another 1/2", but the p-trap is right there. Dropping it any lower would put the trap out of kilter.
I will swap the two 90's in the wall for two 45's, eliminating that horizontal vent.

Jastori

Reaction score
How about wet venting the shower with the lavatory drain? In our recent project, a 2" lav drain (properly vented) was used to wet vent both the toilet and shower. This was done by a licensed plumber, and passed inspection (hopefully it was correct).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks