Gotta Love Google AdSense

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I guess I've been looking for love in all the wrong places. Any guesses what word AdSence is triggered on?

Attachments

• love.jpg
    love.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 626

Cookie

Reaction score
For instance: When you look at, the site you are on, is what is going to come up basically and in your area. If like me, I am forever looking into Criminal and Law things, & sites, that is what comes up. All the lawyers in my area. It will specify, in my area. How does it know my area? By the cookie, cookie. :)

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
AdSense will trigger on words on the page. In this case the word it triggered on is "Love" so it was a rhetorical question.

AdSense does also track other sites you visit and even your google searches, so if you were previously searching for a lawn mower, there is good chance there will be ads for lawn mowers on a plumbing forum.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Well it is often a combination of the site you are on and where you usually visit.

In this case, it was not providing content based on other sites I visit and by the look of the ads I took a screenshot of, it must think I'm a woman.

Cookie

Reaction score
That is funny.

Once an ad came up on mine offering me a site where it sued other lawyers, I guess a hard thing to do in their field. I had another where it thought I was a male and was soliciting me to enlarge a body part, lol. That ain't goin work.

Achutch

Reaction score
You might want to download and run CCleaner. It removes cookies, temporary internet files, cleans out index.dat among other things. I run it frequently on both computers. Not sure about the protocol for posting links here, so to be safe, I won't. Just Google CCleaner and you'll get there.

I don't use Internet Explorer unless I have to. I've used Mozilla Firefox, but last year began using Google Chrome because it's faster and you can sync your favorites or bookmarks so they'll be the same on each computer. There is an add on called Ad Block Plus that will run on both Chrome and Firefox. This will get rid of the ads, and help clean things up.

Cookie

Reaction score
My cat and I play the "pen" game. He wins. I love your picture!
I sit the pen on my desk, he knocks it off, I pick it up, he knocks it off, I pick it up, we play until, I get tired.

Achutch

Reaction score
Cookie,

As with your kitty, Sierra always wins. The same day I took that picture, she attempted to yank out the Flash Drive with her teeth. Then she lifted the phone off its cradle and dropped it on the desk. She and her "brother" Tyler are sometimes both up on the desk at once, especially when I'm in a hurry and trying to type a note or do paperwork before heading to work. Pens get lifted out of their cup, things get knocked onto the floor and any paper lying on the desk becomes a bed or a chew toy. Both come running at the sound of the scanner / printer. Sierra tries to crawl behind the printer, usually knocking over the left speaker and pushing the cable modem and wireless router around whenever I'm trying to print something. Both block the screen so I can't see what I'm doing. Then if all else fails to get my attention, I'm apt to get two paws wrapped around my wrist and then "little teeth". I'm a softie and will put up with things that the cats do that I would never tolerate from any human.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You might want to download and run CCleaner. It removes cookies, temporary internet files, cleans out index.dat among other things.
I don't use Internet Explorer unless I have to. I've used Mozilla Firefox, but last year began using Google Chrome ...
I don't really mind that Google is tracking me. I sold my soul to Google a long time ago. Google remebers me when I search, I use their GMail, Google Earth, and Picasa. I set the search bar in IE to Google. I'm just disappointed they got my gender wrong.

I've been thinking of taking Chrome out for a test run. I was using FireFox for a while and managed to pick up some malware with it.

theMezz

Reaction score
For instance: When you look at, the site you are on, is what is going to come up basically and in your area. If like me, I am forever looking into Criminal and Law things, & sites, that is what comes up. All the lawyers in my area. It will specify, in my area. How does it know my area? By the cookie, cookie. :)

Two separate answers.

1) Adsense "reads" all the web pages that inserts the adsense ad - and makes the ad relevant to the contents. It's not examining YOU, it's examining the WEB PAGE.

2) Google does use cookies to track you, but that has no bearing on what ads are displayed to you. You can take cookie countermeasures with chrome extensions and the ads remain the same.

Personally - I have no issues with Google Adsense. The reason is that if I am on a photography web site I would rather see ads about cameras than golf clubs !!! Know what I mean. I want to see ads about products that interest me.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Adsense "reads" all the web pages that inserts the adsense ad - and makes the ad relevant to the contents. It's not examining YOU, it's examining the WEB PAGE.

Yes, it does read the page, but they also track you and what you do. I work in IT and so frequent a lot of IT related websites. When I was googling for recirc pumps, I was seeing them show up in the ads on the IT sites. I also see IT related ads on non-IT sites.

On one IT site that I was a moderator on, we were having a bit of fun with AdSense by seeding the ads with certain words in our posts.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I've been puzzled by the supposed gender confusion with AdSense showing me girly stuff and it finally dawned on me. No, I'm not in the closet and not coming out of the closet either.

First off, a bit of background... I work in IT and am on call 24/7 so my laptop gets turned on the moment I get home and only gets turned off in the morning as I leave for work. As I mentioned before, I logon with my GMail account and google search remembers me. I have nothing to hide from google.

My wife has her own laptop but lately she's been leaving it upstairs in her office and uses mine instead. Since google remembers me, it's become gender confused. LOL

It just dawned on me when she came home with a bunch of new clothes and modelling them for me. I return my gaze to my laptop to see an ad for womens clothing and DOH! The light came on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks