How to design drainage for basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

sonicsmooth

Reaction score
Hi,

We are remodeling the basement in our 1908 Seattle house, and wish to remove the existing sewer pump, NOT install any more pumps(!) (eg saniflow, etc.), and NOT build the bathroom or toilet up on a platform. We have to reconnect the sewer at a lower point, but due to a bunch of restrictions, we don't get a full 6" below the new slab we intend to pour, at the location where the bathroom is.

So, How do we connect a toilet here? I've calculated that the top of the drain pipe just reaches the top of the new slab, if I take into account the 1/4" per foot slope requirements.

I'm thinking the best solution for toilets is a floor-mounted rear-drain toilet (rear discharge, etc.) These typically have a 4" rough-in above the floor, rather than requiring 6" clearance below the floor.

So I'm wondering:
* Is this the appropriate use of a rear-discharge toilet?
* Since I don't want to fur out the walls in the basement any more than I have to, am I allowed to go from the rear-discharge above-floor flange immediately to a 90-degree elbow to route the pipe under the slab? If not, what are the minimum radius requirements for pipe corners in drainage?
* Do I legally need a 4" pipe since this will be a below-slab pipe, in the basement?

* If rear-discharge is not the correct solution, is there a down-discharge (ie normal toilet) solution that allows the drainage pipe to be just *at* the level of the slab?

* What is the most affordable rear discharge toilet?

thanks
Michael

sonicsmooth

Reaction score
How deep must rough under slab be?

I'm pouring a new slab over new sewer lines in the basement. I have almost zero depth between the top of the slab and where the drain pipes need to be, because of where we tie into the side sewer.

So the question is: is there a *code* requirement for how deep under the top surface of the slab the drain pipes need to be? Can they be just under the top surface? 1"? 6"? etc.

I may need to use 1/8" per foot instead of 1/4" like I've been assuming.

thanks
Michael

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A bathroom set can use 3" pipe for the toilet.
It's only when you add the fourth toilet that it needs to be 4"

Horizontal bends are long sweeps,
Going from vertical to horizontal is long sweep
Going from horizontal to vertical can be a med bend.

For the toilet, you may want to look into wall hung; they are about $300 more with the wall bracket then a floor mount rear outlet toilet.
Toto makes a Wall hung dual flush Aquia with CEFIONTECT (CeFiONtect) with in-wall tank and mounting bracket for about $980 list, $686 my price

It's nice to have at least 3" coverage over the pipe with concrete. Though you may be able to get by with a bit less.

Toto CT418 wall hung bowl
ct418_wall.jpg

Last edited:

sonicsmooth

Reaction score
A bathroom set can use 3" pipe for the toilet.
It's only when you add the fourth toilet that it needs to be 4"

Horizontal bends are long sweeps,
Going from vertical to horizontal is long sweep
Going from horizontal to vertical can be a med bend.

For the toilet, you may want to look into wall hung; they are about $300 more with the wall bracket then a floor mount rear outlet toilet.
Toto makes a Wall hung dual flush Aquia with CEFIONTECT (CeFiONtect) with in-wall tank and mounting bracket for about $980 list, $686 my price

It's nice to have at least 3" coverage over the pipe with concrete. Though you may be able to get by with a bit less.

Toto CT418 wall hung bowl
ct418_wall.jpg

Great, thanks for the input. I think I don't completely understand how the in-wall tank is accessed. Does this model use pressure assist or gravity only? How well does this flush compared to the others?

Thanks again, I enjoy this website very much.
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That picture doesn't show it, but you can access the in-wall tank through the wall panel.

YT800_zoom.jpg

The in-wall unit

wt151m_zoom.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I have almost zero depth between the top of the slab and where the drain pipes need to be, because of where we tie into the side sewer.

Here, because a pipe IN the concrete creates a weak spot that WILL crack, we cannot do it unless we resort to extensive reinforcement above the pipe. Your questions imply that you are in "over your head" to try this as a "first time" DIY project. There is absolutely NO WAY to install a floor outlet toilet on a drain line that is less than 2" below the top of the slab, and even that would be pushing the envelope.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks