Plumbing 101 - Reduce main supply to 1/2"

Users who are viewing this thread

millerama

Reaction score
I recently had my plumber replace the main shutoff valve inside my house. Everything seems to be working fine, but I noticed that a section of the repair goes from 3/4" down to 1/2" and then back to 3/4" to the whole house (minus one outdoor faucet).

My question is, does this have any adverse affects? The water pressure seems ok, but I suspect that it is actually less than before the repair.

The original pipe was steel and the new section is copper.

https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1/2" is on the small side for a house today, even minus the outdoor bibb. The longer that piece of pipe, the more it will drop some pressure.

millerama

Reaction score
The 1/2" section runs about 12 inches or less. I'm not sure what amount is acceptable.

I guess what the real question is, would it be reasonable or worth the effort to ask the plumber to fix it. My guess is that he ran out of 3/4" pipe or fittings and used 1/2" instead.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A one bath home can get by with a 3/4" main water supply
A two bath home needs 1" for the main supply.
https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Can you post a picture?
800 pixels or less.
I guess you should have called us for the repair.

Copper looks much smaller than galvanized pipe, are you sure that it's 1/2"?

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
... My guess is that he ran out of 3/4" pipe or fittings and used 1/2" instead.
I think so too.

The 1/2" section runs about 12 inches or less. I'm not sure what amount is acceptable. ... reasonable or worth the effort to ask the plumber to fix it...
I don't know the numbers but I remember that a 12 inch run of a smaller size (anywhere in the line) is equivalent to a longer supply line of the bigger size. Not a big deal. So far you have not posted to say you notice a difference. It works fine.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It depends on umm... supply and demand. If the supply pressure is great enough and the demand small enough it could be fine. With the 30-50 PSI of my well water, I can average 6 GPM through a hose bib connected via 1/2" copper.

Old steel pipe despite being 3/4" could be reduced to the size of a pencil over time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Are you sure it is 1/2" copper, and not 3/4" which would still be a lot smaller than a 3/4" iron pipe, and "look" almost the same as a 1/2" iron pipe?

millerama

Reaction score
There is definitely 1/2" copper. Most of the repair consists of 3/4" copper, but one section, right before it connects back to the old galvanized, uses 1/2" (3/4 copper to 1/2 copper to 3/4 galvanized). It's definitely possible that there is 1" in there somewhere, I just assumed it was 3/4"

I'm not posting a photo because it's all behind drywall that was put up the next day.

From the responses, it sounds like it's not a big deal, I just won't be using that plumber again.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that is indeed the way it was installed, fluid dynamics will cause the flow to increase its velocity through that short piece, so it will have minimal effect on the volume. It is when the length of the pipe increases and friction loss becomes a factor that the flow is compromise. A "reduction" like this is the principle behind "venturi plate" flow meters.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
It should be a big deal. You shouldn't have a copper to galv. connection, I hope he installed some brass between the two. I'd get him out there and have him fix it and do it the right way, you're losing volume and increasing the risk of a pinhole leaks down the road with decreasing the size, not to mention the direct connect of the copper to the galv. You need 6" of brass between the two.

RinconVTR

Reaction score
While its not good practice to install a section of 1/2" pipe at or around the main water line, its also not the neck in the hour glass. The OP said this was near the main shut off, which places it near the water meter.

Residential water meters are typically 1/2" to 5/8" ID and only flow 15gpm before pressure drops off sharply. Most are rated for 20 or 25, but thats just a rating. Those max ratings include very large pressure drops.

If you happen to have a very large home with a 35gpm rated meter, then you better not have any reduction in pipe size at or around the meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks