Single lever shower valve leaking...through the metal !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Pktaske

Reaction score
Hey guys! Was getting a wet spot by doorway of my small master bath. Thought it was the drain seal on my shower stall but when I looked behind the wall ( I have access) I see the drip is coming from a few (not one!) small pinholes in the cast valve body!!! I put this in about 11 years ago so it's not that old. I have water with high iron but not that acidic or hard. What could make a valve head sweat water like that? Just plain poor construction? Anybody ever seen this before?

I haven't pulled it out yet as I wanted to push the job off till next week. I tried some epoxy but water pressure seems too strong to hold and I can't keep the pressure off on the valve for more than an hour because we need the water flowing in the rest of the house.

Thanks . . .

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It could be corrosion or, just a hole caused by casting sand used in the molding...

It doesn't matter it's replacement time...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a rumor that Billy Mays died because he tried to epoxy a pipe under pressure! Yes...you have a situation not often encountered, and yes...you need to replace as soon as possible.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the brand, many have a lifetime warranty, and if you call them and explain what's going on, they'll send you a new one. Better than money out of your pocket!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A porous casting happens, but most good places weed them out. Happens to cast aluminum wheels, too, sometimes which can be a real pain.

jockygerald

Reaction score
one thing we all should be taken care is use of water with maximum efficiency ,can all of you think that is shower is only option for bath?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
one thing we all should be taken care is use of water with maximum efficiency ,can all of you think that is shower is only option for bath?

When you wallow in grease, mud, blood, and sewage on a daily basis- yes I think a daily shower is in order. The more water the better.

Pktaske

Reaction score
ok.. I sent pics of the valve (complete with leaking water and hole in the shower wall) to American Standard and as a 'courtesy' they are sending me a new valve even though I don't have my receipt from 11 years ago.

How nice of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks