Air injection system

Users who are viewing this thread

K Paterson

Reaction score
I was using an small air injector (the size of a pop can) in-line with my main water feed. I then have a bladder tank, then a precipatation/resevoir tank, then iron removal system, and then water softener. I switched from the small "pop can" injector to a mazzi injector. It seems to suck much more air. If I try to decrease the amount of air it won't "suck" any more. My problem is my precipatation tank then stores too much air and over time the amount of water it holds decreases. I do have a bleed off vent but that is just before my iron remover. Should I have an air vent right on top of my precipatation tank? I know I want some air to mix with the iron, but not too much. Will putting a vent directly on top remove all the air?

I think that when I have too much air in the tank and the pump turns on the air is being compressed, the pump turns off at 60psi. As soon as the pump turns off, the compressed air then pushes back on the water and the pressure guage drops to 42 or so psi.

Does any of this make sense.

K Paterson

Reaction score
Air Vent

Make sure your vent is working properly and you shouldn't have too much air building up.

You need a check valve so the air pressure can't feed backwards to the gauge/switch/pump.

My air vent does NOT sit on top of my resevoir tank. It is after the tank, just before the iron remover. MY resovoir tank drains at the bottom. How can all the air get to the bottom of the tank, go out then vent just before the iron remover.

Should the vent sit directly on top of the resovoir?

Thanks

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
I was using an small air injector (the size of a pop can) in-line with my main water feed. I then have a bladder tank, then a precipatation/resevoir tank, then iron removal system, and then water softener. I switched from the small "pop can" injector to a mazzi injector. It seems to suck much more air. If I try to decrease the amount of air it won't "suck" any more. My problem is my precipatation tank then stores too much air and over time the amount of water it holds decreases. I do have a bleed off vent but that is just before my iron remover. Should I have an air vent right on top of my precipatation tank? I know I want some air to mix with the iron, but not too much. Will putting a vent directly on top remove all the air?

I think that when I have too much air in the tank and the pump turns on the air is being compressed, the pump turns off at 60psi. As soon as the pump turns off, the compressed air then pushes back on the water and the pressure guage drops to 42 or so psi.

Does any of this make sense.

It sounds like a plugged tank cross.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't understand why there would be a bladder tank between the air injector and the precipitation tank. Aside from air getting into it, some of the iron will precipitate inside the bladder and probably build up in it.

On my system, I have a WellMate precipitation tank that is my only reservior. The WellMate has a float inside to regulate the water level and a vent at the top to bleed off the air.

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this old thread but I have the EXACT same setup as the OP and had a few questions.

The venturi air-injector I use just seems like a piece of junk to me and is constantly getting clogged and needs to be adjusted. I'm looking to switch to some sort of better air-injection system but I'm not sure what to get. I believe the location of my current injector between the pump and bladder tank is causing me to get a lot of iron in the bladder tank which I am looking to clean somehow. Would it be possible to flush the well with iron-out using a similar technique recommended when using bleach here??? I was thinking recirculating that around the system would get any iron out of the tanks/pipes/venturi/etc. Any thoughts on this???

Thanks...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, a bladder tank should not be used in conjunction with a micronizer. Use a precipitation tank that is purpose made for the job.

Yes, the micronizer may need to be cleaned once every 5 years or so but I would stop short of calling it a high-mainenance item. The alternative is to use chemical injection or an air compressor, both of which is a major forklift.

Running Iron Out to shock the well won't work. The iron is not in the well, it is in the aquifer of which there are millions of gallons of water.

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, a bladder tank should not be used in conjunction with a micronizer. Use a precipitation tank that is purpose made for the job.

Yes, the micronizer may need to be cleaned once every 5 years or so but I would stop short of calling it a high-mainenance item. The alternative is to use chemical injection or an air compressor, both of which is a major forklift.

Running Iron Out to shock the well won't work. The iron is not in the well, it is in the aquifer of which there are millions of gallons of water.

I have both a bladder tank and a precip tank, the air-injector I have can only go in one spot - and that's between the pump and bladder. I don't see how I could ever have water pressure without the bladder tank.

I also understand I'm not going to clean the earth of all iron using the procedure I asked about :) . I just want to know if it would be feasible for removing the built up iron from my tanks as a maintenance item. My thinking is the well would be a great place to introduce the iron-out and get it into the bladder tank.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The precipitation tank is where the iron particles clump together and where the air has time to oxidize the iron. The air above the water works just like the bladder tank does so I really don't understand why you need both. None the less, if you do want both, put the bladder tank after the iron filter and you won't have it gumming up with iron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks