Electric heater control

Users who are viewing this thread

801Sparks

Reaction score
My wife has an electric foot heating mat that gets a little too hot to keep her feet on. Can I use a standard electronc dimmer switch to lower the voltage to this 90 watt 120 volt resistive load, thus lowering the temp?

801Sparks

Reaction score
Could you elaborate a little? Why is the 90 watt resistive heating element any different than an incandescent light bulb? Both are resistive loads with 100% power factor right? Is there something in the electronic square wave dimmer that wouldn't function properly?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
My short answer is;
Did it come with a dimmer? No
Then one can’t be used on it.

Just how do you propose installing this dimmer for this heat pad?
No you can’t install the dimmer so it will work through the receptacle.

Have you thought of folding a towel and placing it over the pad?

801Sparks

Reaction score
A Lutron makes a 300 watt plug in lamp dimmer for about $10, it has a cord and plug on it.
No wiring would be needed, therefore no NEC violation.
My question is; will it work.?
I'm sorry, but I don't think putting a folded up towel on an electric heating device sounds very safe.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Since heating pads and electric blankets come with built in rheostats, you would have been better off with a foot pad with such a control built in.

Actually, a good dog bed warmer would have worked and they have controls. I think trying the plug in rig won't harm anything.

The towel will just get as hot as the pad, how about a piece of lattice or some sort of gridwork that would allow some air to circulate and reduce trapped heat?

The bottom of a plastic "flat" that plants come in from the nursery comes to mind as probably laying in the backyard. "REPURPOSE"

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Why is the 90 watt resistive heating element any different than an incandescent light bulb? Both are resistive loads with 100% power factor right?....

A Lutron makes a 300 watt plug in lamp dimmer for about $10, it has a cord and plug on it.
No wiring would be needed, therefore no NEC violation.
My question is; will it work.?
Just do it. You obviously only want to hear the answers you want so why bother asking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks