Explain this 3 way

Users who are viewing this thread

DirtIsMoney

Reaction score
I have an existing 3 way in my house that is wired like this:

Staircase..
My feed is in the 1st floor fixture with a 3 wire going down to the 1st floor switch.
3 wire from 1st floor switch to 2nd floor switch.. and a 2 wire from the 2nd floor switch to the second floor fixture?? I removed switches to remodel before realizing how it was wired.. An explanation would be appreciated.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
This isn't something that should be explained over the internet.

You shouldn't have messed with it, and now you need to hire a professional to fix it for you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It can get confusing...you'll need to search some 'common' diagrams on 3-way switch installation. You'll need a meter to figure out where your hot leads are before you start to connect anything back together.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I have an existing 3 way in my house that is wired like this:

Staircase..
My feed is in the 1st floor fixture with a 3 wire going down to the 1st floor switch.
3 wire from 1st floor switch to 2nd floor switch.. and a 2 wire from the 2nd floor switch to the second floor fixture?? I removed switches to remodel before realizing how it was wired.. An explanation would be appreciated.

I don’t think this can be fixed without a toaster, hair dryer and a DVM. I am sure that that guy will be along shortly to explain all this to you.

Two lights on two different floors wired as you have proposed is impossible.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
3 wire going down to the 1st floor switch.
3 wire from 1st floor switch to 2nd floor switch
2 wire from the 2nd floor switch to the second floor fixture??
Each insulated wire goes to neutral, hot, a switch or the lamp. The colors will help some but with an incand. bulb, wire labels, an extension cord, clip leads and a DVM you can figure this out. But it's tedious.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Each insulated wire goes to neutral, hot, a switch or the lamp. The colors will help some but with an incand. bulb, wire labels, an extension cord, clip leads and a DVM you can figure this out. But it's tedious.

You left out the toaster and hair dryer. How can they fix this without a toaster and hair dryer?

Colors mean a lot especially the neutral and the return leg from the switch but it can’t be done without a toaster, hair dryer, drop cord, some clips, and a DVM.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
3 way

You need a voltmeter, and the knowledge of how to use it, before you can decipher which is the line, which is the load, and which are the travelers in order to make the circuit work properly. With the right knowledge, experience, and equipment, it could be done in a matter of minutes, otherwise it can be hours of frustrating hit and miss trials.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks