Wing-its and grab bars

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am very familiar with the wingits set used to install the brackets for the new curved shower rods. They are specially made for that, and can speed up the job considerably. They do require a 3/4" hole, slightly larger than would be necessary for a conventional toggle bolt.

I have seen the large ones designed for grab bars. They require a large hole, and at about $25 each I just can't justify the cost.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks to me that the flange on that bar is smaller than the Wing-Its diameter, so no, I don't think so. They do have a line drawing on their site where you could tell. The holes are threaded and in a fairly common pattern, but once installed there is NO play...if you don't get it where you want it the first time, you're stuck, since there's only the hole slot in the bar to accommodate any error. Most bars don't have slots, either, so it's be exact.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I have heard many good things about these Wing-Its over the past couple of years.

I want to install some and do my own testing with them. The Standards are tough up here in Canada and in our Health Care facilities - even tougher.

What do you think of the light?

JW

It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks to me that the flange on that bar is smaller than the Wing-Its diameter, so no, I don't think so. They do have a line drawing on their site where you could tell. The holes are threaded and in a fairly common pattern, but once installed there is NO play...if you don't get it where you want it the first time, you're stuck, since there's only the hole slot in the bar to accommodate any error. Most bars don't have slots, either, so it's be exact.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bar is certainly different. I have some overhead lights in my tub/shower. Depending on the light output, they might be useful...I'd have to see it in person. Hard to tell the construction quality or the quality of the materials. Where does the low-voltage supply go and how do you turn it on and off?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks