Tires

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I am getting new tires. :)

I got a question. I am replacing the ones in the back, because they measure with the gauge a 4. The ones up front an 8. These are all season radials.

Some tires places say to rotate the tires upfront to the back for stopping power. Now, Sam's club is saying, that Goodrich makes you sign a waiver if you do that, because they want the new tires in the back, so your backend won't slip out from under you.

Which is better?

I was thinking of putting snow tires on the back, and Sam's won't do that either, unless, I buy all 4. Is this unsafe to do? Putting radials upfront, snow tires in the back?

What do you guys do?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
You have front wheel drive?
All wheel drive?
Antilock brakes?

1/16" depth is the tread wear limit. Confirm it yourself with a penny using the top of Lincoln's head.
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&h...er+camber+underinflation&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Vehicle dynamics is very messy but generally braking force is distributed something like 60 % for the front and 40 % for the back but an e-mail response from your vehicle manuf. advising you on this issue has to hold some credibility. They and the tire manufacturers will be the defendants. :D

http://www.google.com/search?client...mics"+braking+friction+tire&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client...e+antilock&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=cc7ad1a43d378bba

Searching for patents on tires may give you some straight talk as to intended placement.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
My personal philosophy is to replace tires in pairs if I have to.

I like to replace all four, but would replace just two if I had to.

I'd never just replace one though. And I would not mix radials with snow tires or anything like that, certainly not on the same axle.

My other personal philosophy is to have the best tires on the front. I wouldn't want a front tire blow-out at speed.

Perhaps I'll lose my backend one day. I'd love to be able to afford a car that could drive like that.

I suggest you seek professional advice.

I also try to not drive through angry demonstrations if I am a member of the Royal Family. Can you spot Redwood in the crowd?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11962911

Last edited:

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
I heard a Costco tire guy tell a customer that they can only put a new pair of tires in the back when just replacing 2 tires. They would not put the new tires in the front per the customer request.

Cookie

Reaction score
My personal philosophy is to replace tires in pairs if I have to.

I like to replace all four, but would replace just two if I had to.

I'd never just replace one though. And I would not mix radials with snow tires or anything like that, certainly not on the same axle.

My other personal philosophy is to have the best tires on the front. I wouldn't want a front tire blow-out at speed.

Perhaps I'll lose my backend one day. I'd love to be able to afford a car that could drive like that.

I suggest you seek professional advice.

I also try to not drive through angry demonstrations if I am a member of the Royal Family. Can you spot Redwood in the crowd?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11962911

I thought I make it clear I sought professional tire advice several times. Maybe, I didn't...

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes, this one is a front wheel drive. I was going to replace the 2 in the back being those are the ones that need it, and move the front ones to the back, and put the 2 new ones up front. I might go with 4 new snow tires, but, I doubt it since, I found 4 very good all season radials in the garage. So, I might take 2 of those with the garage/tire garage and have those 2 mounted for the front, moving the other 2 to the back, depending on which ones are better. If those from the garage, my garage are not good enough, which I doubt, I will scrap them and buy 2 new all season radials and do the thing I first describe here.

This is when I miss my husband the most. He took care of the cars, I hate this job. Ah, he was a good man. A good friend to me and to all, always a nice guy. And, always knew what to do with the cars. They broke the mold when they made him, he is in short supply.

You have front wheel drive?
All wheel drive?
Antilock brakes?

1/16" depth is the tread wear limit. Confirm it yourself with a penny using the top of Lincoln's head.
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&h...er+camber+underinflation&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Vehicle dynamics is very messy but generally braking force is distributed something like 60 % for the front and 40 % for the back but an e-mail response from your vehicle manuf. advising you on this issue has to hold some credibility. They and the tire manufacturers will be the defendants. :D

http://www.google.com/search?client...mics"+braking+friction+tire&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client...e+antilock&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=cc7ad1a43d378bba

Searching for patents on tires may give you some straight talk as to intended placement.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Whatever tires you get, I'd ask for those that meet or slightly exceed factory specs for your vehicle.

They'll ask you if you want new valve stems. If you say no they'll bend them to show you all the cracks in the stem.
The thing is, they all have cracks and somehow they don't leak so I routinely ask them not to bend the valve stems.

Cookie

Reaction score
I sat 5 hours at the tire place today. On my day off yet. But, I learned alot sitting there. This place has a good reputation and I know my husband dealt with them most of the time. While sitting there, Sears came in and picked up enough of tires for their customers, the same as other same mechanic places. When I got there at 9:30 am, I already had 10 cars in front of me.

And, after toting those tires from the garage up the basement stairs, because the driveway is a looking glass, I found out I had snow tires on my car, lol. ( I won't stake a claim to being smart with cars) So, the back 2 the man said, he had actually cut his hand when he spun the tire, and he came out shoving a business card at me saying, " you are in serious, I mean serious, serious need of an alignment."

So, I scrapped those 2 tires, put 2 new snow tires up front moving the other 2 good yet, snow tires, onto the back. They measures an 8 on a gauge.

So, driving home I felt like I was driving a new car. Such a difference.

Plus, I probably gained weight sitting there, because the counter was full of some really good cookies, cakes, donuts, you name it. Alot of ethic baked goods, which I love.

I met this man, kind of funny, sitting there asking him about tires before I found out I had on snow tires. I kind of like him.

So, now, I brought those tires back with me, those ones the 2 I had taken, so, now I got 4 All seasons in great shape for spring.

Next the Jeep. :)

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
" you are in serious, I mean serious, serious need of an alignment."
Caster, camber, toe-in, toe-out, ball-joint excessive wear, bushings worn out, etc.
The tire wear pattern will tell you if he has "truthiness."

You could also search on symptoms of misalignment.

A woman in an auto waiting room a few years ago complained to me that her computer has pop-up ads for,
How shall I put this?,
"things that men are interested in that they think will make them more attractive to women" and since she was not interested in the things these ads showed she did not like these ads.
I started looking for the nearest exit.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I just found out about alignments and the possibilities of extra costs due to problems. Struts, ball joints, etc, I was told 8 out of 10 needs nothing. Well... I always need something. I always hit that one in a million. One day I will hit the lottery for mega bucks, but I will be like 92, and have no reason for it other than to spend it on my much younger boyfriends. At 92, who could I get older? lol.

I am sorry to say, I got lost with your ads? Are you talking male enhancements? If so, reminds me of that song, Size doesn't matter. I am not stating my opinion on that either. :)

I am neutral.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Try "size doesn't matter" youtube for some really strange results.

Cookie

Reaction score
No, that sounds too scary.

I am eating brownies and working (at home). No time for scary.

Alright, I got curious, lol, I am impressed with the 115 lb cheerleader who can lift her body weight. I can only do 80. I guess that is still good. I took those 2 tires back down the stairs today carrying a phone and eating a brownie.

That's pretty impressive don't you think?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Alright, so that was not impressive.

How about? carrying down a flight of stairs, 4 tires, a phone, 2 brownies, and... a coffee?

Cookie

Reaction score
Is this impressive?

In the dark, carrying down a flight of stairs while wearing 6 inch heels, 4 tires with rims, a phone, 3 brownies and a pot of coffee?

Cookie

Reaction score
I can't do that, how else would I get my excercise? Sheeze.

I got to admit carrying the 4 Jeep tires down a flight of stairs in the dark, is a bit much, especially, in stilettos, talking & texting on the phone, eating brownies, & drinking coffee. I might have to put off texting while carrying the Jeep tires. I might still be able to manage touching up my mascara though.

The other car has much smaller tires.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
HJ,

Lets talk weather next July. Meanwhile, OK, I admit it, it is a little greasy out there. Last year for my current studs. All 4 get swapped out next fall. (I'm not talking about those internet studs, by the way - tires, I'm talking tires.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks