GFCI Breaker (no GFCI outlets) not working, but not tripped

Users who are viewing this thread

dmotes

Reaction score
I don't have any GFCI outlets in my home. Instead, all the bathroom outlets are on the same GFCI breaker. Sometime during the day, I lost power to the outlets on that breaker, but it is not tripped. I hit the reset and clicked it back on, but I still don't have power.

What are the possible causes of the outage? Thanks in advance!

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
There is no reset button on a GFCI breaker. There is a test button. Did you try moving the breaker handle all the way to the off position then to on position?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To reset any circuit breaker, doesn't matter the type, you generally have to turn it all the way off, then turn it on. That button on the CB is a test button that you should hit about once a month (like on the receptacles) to verify it is still working properly. It causes the breaker to trip if it is working properly.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If you're comfortable with electricity and you know about the risk of arc-flash, run an incand. lamp mounted in a pigtail socket [any hardware store has this socket] from the breaker output terminal [should be a black wire] to the breaker load neutral terminal [should be a white wire] while flipping the breaker handle.

If no light, disconnect the black wire from the breaker that feeds your outlets and check again for power using the light while flipping the breaker handle.

Post back with your results.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
If you're comfortable with electricity and you know about the risk of arc-flash, run an incand. lamp mounted in a pigtail socket [any hardware store has this socket] from the breaker output terminal [should be a black wire] to the breaker load neutral terminal [should be a white wire] while flipping the breaker handle.

If no light, disconnect the black wire from the breaker that feeds your outlets and check again for power using the light while flipping the breaker handle.

Post back with your results.

Are you serious?

Are you trying to get someone hurt?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks