Shower Pan squeaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Enosez

Reaction score
Just bought a house that has a EJM shower pan installed.

No leaks but the problem is that when you stand in it or move around it squeaks and makes all sort of noise.

My solution was to spray expanding foam (minimal) under the pan. I can get to three of the sides of the pan but not the face of the pan.

I thought this would help but I found that the reinforcement ribbing under the pan runs in both directions. So basically I will only be spraying around the outer edge and not the the inner edge closest to the drain (where I believe the problem is).

I was going to use a crowbar to lift the pan slightly and see if I can get the spray foam nozzle under the ribbing or even drill a small hole in the ribbing that I can see and get to. The problem there is that the ribbing runs so that I cant get to all of it.

What would you do in this situation? Spray the foam where I can or does anyone have a better idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would not attempt to move the pan at all. Bad things can happen.

Can you fashion some extension tubes for the spray foam nozzle...perhaps doing that, you can reach further in.

Make sure to use "door and window" or "minimal expansion" foam. The "regular" could bulge the pan

The maker is E L M ( E.L. Mustee)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Often the pan squeaks because it is rubbing against the subfloor or tile. It can also be squeaking because it is rubbing against the wall board.

Do you have the ability to work from below?

I would not be using a crow bar and if you have I would be removing the ceiling below and looking for leaks...

Good Luck.

JW

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
the problem is that when you stand in it or move around it squeaks and makes all sort of noise.
If you can localize the squeak by pressing down on a dowel you could drill 1/16" holes in the pan and inject foam at those places using a hypodermic needle [try hobby shops] but to plug the hole you need some kind of material with the same thermal expansion coefficient as the shower pan material or a pliable material.
Matching the color may be very difficult.

Less likely to work would be to inject talcum powder or powdered graphite or some other powdered dry lubricant between the surfaces that rub together, if you know where they are.

Last edited:

JCwell

Reaction score
I have a similar shower pan issue with an already installed shower. I have a Vikrell shower pan (36 x 36) that has structural cross ribs underneath. There is some flex and it has the popping, snapping, creaking sounds that I've read about in other posts. The shower pan sits on a wood floor which has a sheet of tar paper on it (to supposedly eliminate creaking sounds). I have access to the back of the shower pan but only enough space to get a thin (1/4"OD 3/16" ID) vinyl tube under to push foam or anything else I may be able to get thru it that may be recommended. My question is this: there are new foam products out now designed for use outdoors for fish ponds, waterfalls, landscaping, etc. ("Great Stuff Pond & Stone" being one). These are typically black in color, low expanding, and I believe they have a higher density than the typical indoor insulating spray foams - so I'm thinking they won't tend to compress as much either. (This is speculation on my part because it virtually impossible to find specific info on these products). Has anyone tried using this particular stuff under a shower pan? Also, it sounds like plaster of paris may be a good option too. If I could figure out a way to pump that through my vinyl tube (or use some other method) then I could pump a few globs under the pan for support. Any thoughts about any of this would be appreciated. Thanks. I've lived with this for a couple of years now but I figure it is only a matter of time before I may have a real issue on my hands.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I have a similar shower pan issue with an already installed shower. I have a Vikrell shower pan (36 x 36) that has structural cross ribs underneath. There is some flex and it has the popping, snapping, creaking sounds that I've read about in other posts. The shower pan sits on a wood floor which has a sheet of tar paper on it (to supposedly eliminate creaking sounds). I have access to the back of the shower pan but only enough space to get a thin (1/4"OD 3/16" ID) vinyl tube under to push foam or anything else I may be able to get thru it that may be recommended. My question is this: there are new foam products out now designed for use outdoors for fish ponds, waterfalls, landscaping, etc. ("Great Stuff Pond & Stone" being one). These are typically black in color, low expanding, and I believe they have a higher density than the typical indoor insulating spray foams - so I'm thinking they won't tend to compress as much either. (This is speculation on my part because it virtually impossible to find specific info on these products). Has anyone tried using this particular stuff under a shower pan? Also, it sounds like plaster of paris may be a good option too. If I could figure out a way to pump that through my vinyl tube (or use some other method) then I could pump a few globs under the pan for support. Any thoughts about any of this would be appreciated. Thanks. I've lived with this for a couple of years now but I figure it is only a matter of time before I may have a real issue on my hands.

Do you have access from below any chance?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks