Dual saw

Users who are viewing this thread

Augusta

Reaction score
I hired a new HVAC guy to do some work recently and was impressed with a cut he did to repair a cut line from the condensing unit into the outside wall of the home. I thought for sure he would use a skill saw or a sawsall and make a mess of it. When I inspected his work after he was done it was a really nice precision cut on a rather difficult surface with ridges. I had to call him back and ask him what he used. Was it a Dremel? No. He said it was a dual saw. I asked him where he got it and he said you can't buy it in stores, you have to buy it from a web site. I asked him to look it up and tell me the name. He said it was the Omni Dual Saw. Since this guy actually bought it, and has been using it on the job I asked him some questions. Is it AC powered? Yes. How long have you had it? A couple of years. Any problems with it? No, it does a fantastic job. So I went to the web site and bought one. It's on the way. Haven't used it yet, but was wondering if anyone of you guys actually have that saw.

I looked and saw a mix of reviews (more than half were bad, while some were good). Most reviews I read looked like they are advertising for Omni, and the bad reviews seemed to be complete morons trying to use this thing to cut 3/4" USB to do a roof. I mean, it's a pretty tiny motor, no matter what they advertise, I think a little common sense would dictate that you would use this on smaller repair jobs, not big renovation projects.

I'd like to think my HVAC guy's review weighs in pretty heavily. I'll try it out and post back. I see Sears has their version of a dual saw as well. I kind of regret buying the Omni when I could have gone to Sears to get basically the same thing (at first glance). Anyone else use this thing?

Omni Dual Saw
omnidualsaw.jpg

Sears Dual Saw
searsdualsaw.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't have one yet ( probably will ) , so I can't comment on the quality of the two items. That is always a concern with "as seen on TV" items. When this first came on the scene via Billy Mays ( RIP ) I sized it up as another ginsu knife. But I said the same thing about the vibrating multi=tools, which most tradesment wouldn't be without these days.

The one thing I question about the dual saw is the one-blade-cuts-all. I would think that if this was to be an every day tool, you would want maybe a finer tooth blade for sheet metal, coarser tooth for plywood, etc. BUT, maybe the whole point of the dual blade is that such differentiation is un-necessary.

Please give your tool a workout when you get it ....and report back!!!!!

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
So are you guys running into situations where you cannot make a cut and need a "do it all" saw? Or do we all have the tools we need to do our jobs already...?

Augusta

Reaction score
jimbo

I don't have one yet ( probably will ) , so I can't comment on the quality of the two items. That is always a concern with "as seen on TV" items. When this first came on the scene via Billy Mays ( RIP ) I sized it up as another ginsu knife. But I said the same thing about the vibrating multi=tools, which most tradesment wouldn't be without these days.

The one thing I question about the dual saw is the one-blade-cuts-all. I would think that if this was to be an every day tool, you would want maybe a finer tooth blade for sheet metal, coarser tooth for plywood, etc. BUT, maybe the whole point of the dual blade is that such differentiation is un-necessary.

Please give your tool a workout when you get it ....and report back!!!!!

Will do. I thought the same thing when I saw it on TV. Didn't give it the time of day. You wouldn't use that same blade for all cuts - I ordered the diamond blades in addition to the blades that come with it. Won't know anything about the Craftsman though. Was hoping someone else here had that one.

I've got a Makita grinder with a diamond blade - works awesome for most things, but I'd never get it in a tight area because of that fixed blade guard, not to mention it will kick on you in a second, making it a bad choice for precision cutting.

dlarrivee

So are you guys running into situations where you cannot make a cut and need a "do it all" saw? Or do we all have the tools we need to do our jobs already...?

Neither. I was impressed with how this thing handled a tight area without "over cutting" onto some adjacent wood. When you are in a tight spot, such as rotted brick molding at the bottom of an exterior door frame, you need something that can cut with precision. I saw the dual saw do just that. I need something that cuts in tight areas like that.

Probably a legit demo for Omni dual saw:

Probably a legit demo for Sears Craftsman dual saw:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Are you and the other people promoting this getting a discount or something?

Augusta

Reaction score
How am I promoting it? I don't even have it yet. Besides, I already said that I regret not getting the Sears version. Didn't see it until after I ordered the Omni. I'd like a discount though. Are you offering one?

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Wow, people on this forum are grouchy! The guy is just sharing his enthusiasm over a new tool. Some guy posted info on another shower drain installation tool the other day that he was excited about. I already have 5, and I will probably order the one the guy posted about because it would be handy to have in a tricky situation.

Last edited:

Augusta

Reaction score
Wow, people on this forum are grouchy! The guy is just sharing his enthusiasm over a new tool. Some guy posted info on another shower drain installation tool the other day that he was excited about. I already have 5, and I will probably order the one the guy posted about because it would be handy to have in a tricky situation.

Tell me about it. Off topic: Speaking of which, do any of those tub drain tools work when the cross in the drain is broken? I've had at least 2 drains where the cross was broken and couldn't get them out. I have a couple of these but they don't help in that situation:

tubdraintool.jpg

Augusta

Reaction score

Just bought it. Thanks. Will add it to my plumbing tool box. But man, that thing ain't cheap.

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
RIDGID 4 1/2" 31405 Internal Wrench, 1 to 2" Pipe Capacity 31405 1 $60.49
Subtotal $60.49
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Grand Total $60.49

Internal_Wrench_3C.jpg

Will post back when the Omni Dual Saw is delivered to my home. Thanks!

Last edited:

Augusta

Reaction score
Got the Omni dual saw in the mail the day before yesterday...wish I had 5 seconds of spare time to even mess with it. Was using my dewalt 18v sawsall to open a wall today...so didn't really need the Omni. Came with a carrying case, a tool to change the blade, some wax sticks, and diamond blades (I ordered them as an addition). The saw is pretty heavy...way heavier than my Makita grinder...will let you know how it goes when I find a tight spot to cut in.

dualsawnew.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks