Help ASAP: Short cycling

Users who are viewing this thread

grumpy

Reaction score
Hi, First post thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I have a Rudd Multi-Tube boiler ser 480-01974 model CB576C for 6 small apartments and 2 commercial units. Guessing it is 1974 or earlier model.(maybe 60's, building is 100 yrs plus)

Pump--->Flow Switch--->Boiler--->Air Tank/auto fill--->Pressure/Temp--->Level Control---Honeywell Control.

max input btu 576000
pump in return 2" Armstrong 1/6th HP Pump Motor P/N 817025-005
Boiler piping 2" to 3" to 1.5"
Limit control set at 175 degrees
Pressure is 16PSI

The problem is that the boiler is on for <5 min and temp gauge says 140 degrees when it stops
Temp Gauge reaches 120 Degrees after 12 mins and the cycle starts again.
Pump only operates when there is a call for heat.
Outside temp today is 3 degrees Celsius = 37.4 degrees Fahrenheit

Basement has no rads but it sure is a sweat shop, all units very warm too. The thermostat is on the second floor hallway.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
max input btu 576000 = 9600 BTU/min
Boiler piping 2" to 3" to 1.5" = 16 gallons and 130# of water per 100' of piping
The problem is that the boiler is on for <5 min and temp gauge says 140 degrees when it stops
Temp Gauge reaches 120 Degrees after 12 mins and the cycle starts again.
What's your fuel usage during this 5 minute "on" period?

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Don't really understand the question, but the boiler does have a 1" gas line feeding it. My concerns are two fold cost of course and comfort.
It seems your furnace has become more efficient than it used to be, or your units take way less heating, both of which seem impossible. Fuel usage may give us a clue.
Do you use NG or oil? Each has a different "heat of combustion".

What were the "on" and "off" times before the short-cycling started? Being on for 5 out of 5 + 12 minutes means you're using 5/17 of 576000 BTU/hr, about 170,000 BTU/hr. 60/17 is 3.5 cycles per hour and not all that high.

To check if the furnace turns off because the high limit switch is opening, rather than t'stat contacts opening, you'll probably need a multimeter.
Having a flow meter in the line may also give a clue.

Can you post a schematic?

Last edited:

grumpy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

Redwood that is part of my concern, who knows what has been done over the years, surely not me as I have only owned this building since May. (Been a commercial tenant for 25 years)

Thatguy it is NG, history is unknown. If you think that those times are not bad then I will worry less as this is my first boiler. But why is the limit switch set to 175 while the thermostat is working between 125 and 140?
Schematic, would have to break out the crayons I'm not even sure if this is primary secondary or parallel. Will check next time there, but I do know there is several feeds going upstairs in many different locations and the other boiler another Rudd but 210000 BTU in another part of the building is plumbed parrallel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks