Kohler Cast Iron or Americast???????

Users who are viewing this thread

a.y1320

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and have a question about the two tubs. I am in the process of remodeling our guest bathroom. It is torn down to the studs, and getting brand new everything. I just bought the 60"x30" Americast and I am wondering if I made the right decsion. The cast iron Kohler was the same price but I was a little scared off by the actual weight and moving the tub into place. This is my first Tub install and I want it to go as smoothly as possible. Is the americast just as good or should I go for the Kohler?
Thanks in advance....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Americast is just fine.

americast-tub-instructions-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Annanvy

Reaction score
I am having the same problem as you. It's just that I purchased the Kohler cast iron and am wondering if I should have purchased the Americast instead. I need to make a decide by Columbus Day whether or not to keep the cast iron or exchange it for the Americast because installation begins tomorrow. <nail biting>

Andrew21

Reaction score
I'm just a DIY'er and ask for advice here all the time but I had the same problem.

Since this is a guest bathroom, you'd be ok with either or. I had the same dilemma when putting in a tub for my home. I went with the Kohler Cast iron BUT I had 3 others helping me. One guy squats close to 900lbs daily. :) So it went in pretty smooth. I don't regret it though.

But take my advice with a grain of salt. Just read the reviews and make your decision.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless you are a plumber who has worked with cast iron all your life, or you have an unusual installation, you will work you butt off trying to get the cast iron tub in place without getting a hernia. I remove and install cast iron tubs all the time by myself, but it is a talent that you develop over many years.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
I would keep the new cast tub that you have.

I'll second that.
cast iron is by far the higher quality item, although it will be a bear to install without any prior experience. Americast is basically a pressed steel tub with an epoxy coating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks