High water pressure outside; low inside house

Users who are viewing this thread

cepperson3

Reaction score
I have been searching for an answer to my unique problem and I hope someone can help. I have extremely high water pressure on the outside front hose bib (115 PSI). I've already had to replace part of the water pipe coming in from the street probably because of the high pressure. The plumber who did this could not figure out why the pressure is so high outside but so low everywhere inside. He said if I put a pressure regulator valve on that it would probably reduce the inside pressure even more. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
My first thought was that your pressure regulator is defective. Your symptoms are classic for that. But you seem to indicate there isn't one. I would look for one somewhere, because otherwise you need to call in Dick Tracy!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Is the pressure low or the flow low inside? Don't confuse the two.

Did he measure the pressure inside as well?

Low flow can be caused by pipes that are narrow.

cepperson3

Reaction score
My first thought was that your pressure regulator is defective. Your symptoms are classic for that. But you seem to indicate there isn't one. I would look for one somewhere, because otherwise you need to call in Dick Tracy!

The plumber did not see a pressure regulator installed. I'm thinking of calling another plumber for a second opinion. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The PRV may not include the hosebib. That can happen. I would trace the lines back and see if I could spot an old PRV, which may need replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks