hammer arrester

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetlag

Reaction score
I have installed a hammer arrester supply box for the ice maker on frig the dish washer will be right beside the frig . can i put a tee in the ice maker line for the dish wash or does the code require a seperate supply box for the dish wash. The ice line is 1/4 od isnt the dish wash larger 3/8 od.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To provide the best performance, the arrester should be near the valve that is closing.

Jetlag

Reaction score
To provide the best performance, the arrester should be near the valve that is closing.

It will be near . the frig and dish wash are side by side, my question was can u run both from the same supply box

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cold for the ice maker and hot for the dishwasher.

Also, the icemaker connection is 1/4" and the dishwasher is 3/8"
Different pipes, cold and hot, and different sizes.

A dish washer should always be plumbed to the hot side.

Jetlag

Reaction score
Cold for the ice maker and hot for the dishwasher.

Also, the icemaker connection is 1/4" and the dishwasher is 3/8"
Different pipes, cold and hot, and different sizes.

Wow I feal really dumb I have connected several dish wash and used the hot side , Dont know what I was thinking. But I just Tapped into the hot supply under the sink . Do you have to install an arrester supply box behind the dish wash now ?

Jetlag

Reaction score
"Wow I feal really dumb I have connected several dish wash and used the hot side"

You do use the hot side for a dishwasher.

I know you use the hot I meant I feel dumb asking if I could use the ice maker line. do yo install a hammer arester box for the dish wash now or just tie in the hot under the sink

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Every quick closing valve needs a water hammer device, if the system is closed.
Icemaker cold
dishwasher hot
Clotheswasher hot and cold

mini_resters.jpg

Last edited:

Jetlag

Reaction score
Every quick closing valve needs a water hammer device, if the system is closed.
Icemaker cold
dishwasher hot
Clotheswasher hot and cold

Thanks I allready have the washer and ice maker boxes in, I notice they sell some hammer devices seperately , Can you just install that in the line the dish wash connects to or do you need the made up box that mounts in wall with cut off and arrester installed to connect dish washer

Benze

Reaction score

Actually, not always true. Some of the higher end dishwasher makes/models (esp European models - ex: Miele) recommend connecting to the Cold Water supply as it has its own internal heating element for the water, and by connecting it to cold water, the dishwasher is able to more accurately control the exact temp of the water being used.

In fact, to my knowledge, most European models are plumbed to the cold supply.

Eric

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Actually, not always true. Some of the higher end dishwasher makes/models (esp European models - ex: Miele) recommend connecting to the Cold Water supply as it has its own internal heating element for the water, and by connecting it to cold water, the dishwasher is able to more accurately control the exact temp of the water being used.

In fact, to my knowledge, most European models are plumbed to the cold supply.

Eric

Most washing machines there also have their own heater...unless you heat your water with electricity, you'll save money and have much shorter cycles if you feed it hot. Tankless point of use heaters are much more common in Europe, so to avoid getting lousy flow at the kitchen sink, running cold to the dishwasher is more common. It also minimizes the number of heating units you need. The heating elements in them work off a thermostat, and will only run long enough to raise the water temperature to where it needs to be by design, so if you start with warmer water, it won't matter, it just runs less, and gets to the job of washing the dishes faster.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks