Canadian dishwasher install...with a twist ;o)

Users who are viewing this thread

bitsdoo

Reaction score
Alright, here goes. First things first I did a search and could not find my situation so I'm starting a new thread. Doing a kitchen reno and in that replaced the dishwasher (herein DW). To make things more accessible incase there is trouble down the road I want to change the plumbing. The old DW plumbing was typical, drain going to the sink plumbing and tied in with a DW tee. DW supply also came off the sink plumbing.

Wher the DW will sit is directly above my furnace room, and the point of entry of all water and the main drain/stack. I want to plumb the supply from the basement (no problem here) and tie the DW drain in to the basement as well. I've included a diagram (which is attached) of what I want to do. I think I've included all pertinant info, if you need anything else just let me know. The house is a 4 level sidesplit, with the kitchen being directly above the lowest/basment floor. Obviously there is more plumbing but it is irrelevant (IMHO).

Please provide feedback on this install, am I up to code? Do we see any issues with the plumbing and if so what do I need to change.The new plumbing is circled.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

bitsdoo.View attachment 11252 DW Layout.jpg

Last edited:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is that a trap after where the DW ties into the sink drain? You cannot install a trap in this way and if there is a trap for the kitchen sink you will siphon it when the dishwasher drains. Why are you doing this? The way it was is the standard and best way IMO to hook up a DW.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Alright, here goes. First things first I did a search and could not find my situation so I'm starting a new thread. Doing a kitchen reno and in that replaced the dishwasher (herein DW). To make things more accessible incase there is trouble down the road I want to change the plumbing. The old DW plumbing was typical, drain going to the sink plumbing and tied in with a DW tee. DW supply also came off the sink plumbing.

Wher the DW will sit is directly above my furnace room, and the point of entry of all water and the main drain/stack. I want to plumb the supply from the basement (no problem here) and tie the DW drain in to the basement as well. I've included a diagram (which is attached) of what I want to do. I think I've included all pertinant info, if you need anything else just let me know. The house is a 4 level sidesplit, with the kitchen being directly above the lowest/basment floor. Obviously there is more plumbing but it is irrelevant (IMHO).

Please provide feedback on this install, am I up to code? Do we see any issues with the plumbing and if so what do I need to change.The new plumbing is circled.

bitsdoo.

Well the fixture outlet coming off the kitchen sink is VERY GOOFY but not against code. However the running trap you have drawn in there is against code.

bitsdoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

First things first, drawing is revised to show vent and second trap, my fault for not takiing a better look. The picture now shows exactly what I have on the kitchen sink take off.

Alright the only new install is the part circled in red (i.e. the DW install), everything else is existng and is what I walked into. I want to install the DW like this so that I can access the plumbing if I have to for a leak or issue. You see, on the new cabinetry that I'm installing will be a marble tile countertop. Once this counter top goes on it doesn't come off without breaking it. I want all plumbing to be easily accessible and the best way for me to do that is to have it all in the furnace room which is directly below the DW and the kitchen. I could run the DW drain to the kitchen sink if I need to, I'll just run it under the floor and then back up. Why is the trap aganst code? What do I need to do to make it within code?

Jay.

Last edited:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
So you won't be able to remove the DW without breaking the counter? Not the best plan but your call. Now that you have shown a vent it won't siphon the sink trap but you still have a running trap in that line. You would need to install a trap then Y it into the line.

bitsdoo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I can remove the DW without breaking the counter, I won't be able to get to the plumbing\drain (which runs along the bottom and back of the cabinets hidden.

Should I take out the running trap? I don't see a use for it if there is a trap on both the sink and the DW. Any rules/code I need to follow?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
How many feet will the DW drain hose travel if it goes back to the sink connection?

answer this first bitsdoo.

bitsdoo, you left things out : I'll bet there is a sink near the shower. The trap arm for the shower may be OK without a vent, if it is short enough and wet vented from the basement bathroom lav.

i find it hard to believe the double trap is there.

MikeON

Reaction score
We do the same thing here in Ontario, Canada except the air gap. Here, DW hose goes up as high as possible before connecting to GD.

Probably any thing goes in Canada.

Here is how I would do it South of the border in the US.

sink_dw.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No "competent" plumber would have installed the drain line the way you show it. You do not have a trap for the dishwasher drain, and may be showing it connected directly to the drain riser. This appears to be a case of someone thinking, "anyone can be a plumber. All it takes is some pipe and a lot of fittings as long as it angles downward".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks