Toto Aquia - Water Dribbling Into Bowl from Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

ryan92262

Reaction score
We've had two Toto Aquias for a couple years now and they've been good fixtures for us. However, one of them has had a small rivulet/dribble of water leaking from the bowl into the tank for far too long and I've finally decided to address the issue. When I turn the water supply to the toilet off, the tank drains into the bowl completely in about 1 hour ... thereby negating any water savings this toilet is supposed to deliver.

I somehow, somewhere read that it could be an issue with toilet fill valve cap, which I replaced, but the issue remains. Really, though, after thinking about this further, I don't see how this could be the cause of the leak into the bowl from the tank.

I suspect it could be the flush valve that needs to be replaced, but want some advice first. Are there other things I should check first?

By the way, this toilet has never been all that stable on the uneven tile floor on which it is installed. The plumber who installed these used some shims, but those seem to have become dislodged, so I just placed new shims at the base. I doubt that could be the cause for any of the leakage from the tank to the bowl, but wanted to raise all possibilities.

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can provide!

ryan92262

Reaction score
If this was a traditional toilet, I would think I need a new flapper, too. But the Aquia doesn't have a "flapper" per se. The flush valve seems to do the same thing as a flapper (see photo below), so I speculated that I needed a new one, but wanted to see if there were any other ideas/suggestions first. I know, for example, that some have said that they needed to sand the inside of the tank in order for the tank bolt seals to completely seal. Could the rough tank surface be causing any of my dribbling issues?

aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you pull the tube from the flush valve and rotate it out, you will see the seal at the bottom.
That part is replaceable.

When a tank drains, it isn't sealed. That could be the flapper, or in this case a disc type seal on the end of the flush valve, or the seal that is between the tank and the plastic fitting. Either way, until it's holding water, it's a water waster.

All toilets should by inspected and repaired as needed. Not too many repair themselves.
Wait................no, I can't think of any that repair themselves.

aquia_install_flush_valve.jpg

Last edited:

ryan92262

Reaction score
Part number for Toto Aquia flush valve seal?

I rotated the flush valve and tried it in our other Toto Aquia and it leaks there, so it must be the seal (flapper) at the bottom of the flush valve. Anyone know of the part number for just the seal at the bottom of the flush valve?

If you pull the tube from the flush valve and rotate it out, you will see the seal at the bottom.
That part is replaceable.

When a tank drains, it isn't sealed. That could be the flapper, or in this case a disc type seal on the end of the flush valve, or the seal that is between the tank and the plastic fitting. Either way, until it's holding water, it's a water waster.

All toilets should by inspected and repaired as needed. Not too many repair themselves.
Wait................no, I can't think of any that repair themselves.

ryan92262

Reaction score
Fixed

Instead of buying new seals, I just flipped the one at the bottom of the flush valve over ... and everything works perfectly. It may be a temporary fix, but a fix nonetheless.

duncan410y

Reaction score
If this was a traditional toilet, I would think I need a new flapper, too. But the Aquia doesn't have a "flapper" per se. The flush valve seems to do the same thing as a flapper (see photo below), so I speculated that I needed a new one, but wanted to see if there were any other ideas/suggestions first. I know, for example, that some have said that they needed to sand the inside of the tank in order for the tank bolt seals to completely seal. Could the rough tank surface be causing any of my dribbling issues?

aquia_inside_tank.jpg
Could anybody assist me how to I can replace the fill valve (green color one)? I went online I saw many videos on cleaning the valve but not replacing it on this particular aquia model. After I stop the water supply, I couldn't even find the connector on the tank side. Please advise. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Could anybody assist me how to I can replace the fill valve (green color one)? I went online I saw many videos on cleaning the valve but not replacing it on this particular aquia model. After I stop the water supply, I couldn't even find the connector on the tank side. Please advise. Thanks

The tanks needs to be removed to access the supply line where it attaches to the tank. With the water off and the supply disconected from the shutoff, the easy way is to rotate out the flush valve, remove the two screws that hold the tank on and lift the tank off.
Then you can replace the fill valve. A Korky 528MP works well on those.

aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Or you might try removing the green cap and replacing the assembly cap.

528_cap_in.jpg

www.terrylove.com/korky

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Here's a video by Korky on how to service the valve. It shows where they take that little cap off that Terry shows above. It has basically ALL the parts in the valve that will wear out in it. So you almost always never need to replace the 528. Instead of just rinsing off the R528 cap as shown in the video, you replace it with the cap shown by Terry. That's one reason that the 528 is standard equipment in the Aquia -- you really never need to replace it, and so never really need to remove the tank to remove the valve. Much easier to replace a $3 cap than take off the tank to replace the valve.

Here's one place to buy the cap:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Toilet-Fill-Valve-Replacement-Cap-R528CM/202666007

IslandPlumber

Reaction score
Thanks for these detailed instructions. One thing that wasn't clear to me is that the flush valve gasket is held in place by a plastic ring that looks like a removable clip. It's not; it's a fixed part of the flush valve assembly. One removes the gasket by stretching it until it pops over the edge of the ring. I was lucky I didn't break the plastic fitting trying to pry it open.

IslandPlumber

Reaction score
OK, I replaced the flush valve gasket and the toilet still leaks into the bowl. What's the most likely thing to replace next, the entire flush valve assembly or the tank to bowl gasket?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would think it's the fill valve not shutting off.
1) did you turn off the water to the tank first to see if it stopped. A bad fill valve will "overfill" the tank and the water goes into the overflow and into the bowl.
Some of those Korky style fill valves can be repaired with a $5 part, the assembly cap.
www.terrylove.com/korky

Last edited:

IslandPlumber

Reaction score
I would think it's the fill valve not shutting off.
Sounds right - shutting off the water stopped the leak into the bowl. Thanks.

If I can summarize what I've learned here, the FIRST thing one should do when working on this problem (water dribbling into bowl) is to turn off the water supply to the tank. If it keeps on dribbling, it's a leak in the flush valve or tank gasket; it it stops it then it's probably a problem with the fill valve. Usually an easy fix either way.

Thanks again for all your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks