At A Loss For Direction

Users who are viewing this thread

qapd

Reaction score
I am remodeling my lake house bathroom. The floor is a concrete slab on grade. Re-doing the drain line is not an option. The bathroom originally had 3/16" paneling. I replaced with 1/2" sheetrock. Now my toilet will not fit on the flange. I have included three photos of my problem. From the sheetrock wall to the center of the toilet flange is 10 1/2". I realized I was going to have a problem when I temporarily installed the toilet after I demo'ed the bathroom. The toilet tank was against the stud with no wall covering. My old toilet measures 12" to the center of the toilet waste exit.

My question, should I just replace the toilet with a 10" design or try to find some type of offset?

If I replace the toilet, my wife likes the ADA taller toilet. Can you or someone recommend an economical replacement? Hopefully one that is available at one of the big box stores.

Attachments

• IMG_2203.JPG
    IMG_2203.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 362

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Can you or someone recommend an economical replacement? Hopefully one that is available at one of the big box stores.

My wife and I are quite pleased with the Mansfield "Summit III" ADA-height we purchased from one of the box stores, and its 12" version *might* even fit your flange location. Our flange measures 11-1/4" from the finished wall and I can still get my fingers between the back of the tank lid and the wall. The tank has a 3-bolt mount, and in your case you could even tip it forward just a bit, if necessary.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My wife and I are quite pleased with the Mansfield "Summit III" ADA-height we purchased from one of the box stores, and its 12" version *might* even fit your flange location. Our flange measures 11-1/4" from the finished wall and I can still get my fingers between the back of the tank lid and the wall. The tank has a 3-bolt mount, and in your case you could even tip it forward just a bit, if necessary.

The spec sheet for that toilet shows dimensions that would have the tank flat to the wall with a 10 7/8" rough...
So it is not an option...
http://mansfieldplumbing.com/v3/pdf/384-386 R2-07.pdf

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are several Toto toilets that us the Unifit adapter that would work very well. However, they are not cheap builder grade, and they are not sold in Big Box stores.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This one would fit: http://admin.totousa.com/Product%20Downloads/SS-00448,%20CST744EF.10,%20V.02.pdf . Note, the list prices are just that, few people pay list. Toto makes the Aquia and the Drake in 10", and any of their toilets that use the Uni-Fit adapter can be made to fit by substituting the 10" part (the toilet stays the same, only the adapter changes). The Aquia is a dual-flush, the others are not, but are low-flow toilets that may get you a rebate from your local utility.

You may regret not tiling up to the flange, as the footprint of some toilets would show that area.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The spec sheet for that toilet shows dimensions that would have the tank flat to the wall with a 10 7/8" rough...

You and I both know about toilet spec sheets and reality, and maybe especially with Mansfield. The top of my tank is level, and I still have an inch of clearance *behind the lid* with the flange at 11-1/4" ... and that means a flange at 10-1/2" and the particular toilet I happened to get would still have 1/4" clearance even without tipping the tank just a bit ... and I wonder how many plumbers use levels to check that anyway!

Nice try, my fellow, but some things just work in spite of spec sheets.

qapd

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your replies.

This is the toilet I am thinking about purchasing. It appears it should work with a 10" rough in. With my 10 1/2" rough in this should give me a little clearance behind the tank.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_165707-834-2386.010.020_0_?productId=1267571&Ntt=2386.010&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=2386.010$y=11$x=37

Do ya'll agree?

I can order from a big box store for a little over $280.00, shipped to the store. Any suggestions on a cheaper price? I don't mind ordering just to beat this price.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You and I both know about toilet spec sheets and reality, and maybe especially with Mansfield. The top of my tank is level, and I still have an inch of clearance *behind the lid* with the flange at 11-1/4" ... and that means a flange at 10-1/2" and the particular toilet I happened to get would still have 1/4" clearance even without tipping the tank just a bit ... and I wonder how many plumbers use levels to check that anyway!

Yes Lee we all know there is tolerances either plus or minus to the specs.
While you might have the time to go through several toilets and find one that is far enough to one side of the specs to fit those of us in the trade would not.
We simple look at the numbers given an determine whether or not the toilet is a viable option.
We under stand how SPC works. but don't use it to drive up costs on a job.
On the other hand even the savvy handyman avoids things like that whenever possible...

I'm just saying....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your replies.

This is the toilet I am thinking about purchasing. It appears it should work with a 10" rough in. With my 10 1/2" rough in this should give me a little clearance behind the tank.

Do ya'll agree?

I can order from a big box store for a little over $280.00, shipped to the store. Any suggestions on a cheaper price? I don't mind ordering just to beat this price.

That toilet would fit if it is what you want...
I do not install that brand myself... But you can...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
... even the savvy handyman avoids things like that whenever possible...

I'm just saying....

Ah, you still have it wrong! The savvy handyman, yours truly, is the one who got the toilet installed where the local plumber (the same one who wanted to bring in a backhoe and widen my trench so he would not have to lay on his belly to replace my sewer line) and the supply house had nothing to offer or suggest other than possibly cutting the old flange out of the slab and installing a new one ... and just what might that have cost?!

Thanks to all. You have all been a great help.

Git 'er done!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not many plumbers are going to assume that the manufacturers drawings are off by an entire inch.
It's nice that it worked out that way for you though.

I'm used to dealing with specs that are acurate.
But then I haven't installed a Mansfield for a while, we do remove a lot of them though, maybe five a week.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Not many plumbers are going to assume that the manufacturers drawings are off by an entire inch.
It's nice that it worked out that way for you though.

I'm used to dealing with specs that are acurate.
But then I haven't installed a Mansfield for a while, we do remove a lot of them though, maybe five a week.

I understand, and I have no argument with any of that. I just get sick and tired of a couple of folks here continually trying to trash things I share! My recent installations of a sewer line and toilet were *at least* as good as *any* plumber would have done, and I could *never* have afforded *any* plumber to do them.

I was both surprised and quite impressed some time ago when you added "DIY" to this forum, and I am not going to be silent when anybody (other than possibly yourself, of course!) acts like some folks here do.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I understand, and I have no argument with any of that. I just get sick and tired of a couple of folks here continually trying to trash things I share! My recent installations of a sewer line and toilet were *at least* as good as *any* plumber would have done, and I could *never* have afforded *any* plumber to do them.

I was both surprised and quite impressed some time ago when you added "DIY" to this forum, and I am not going to be silent when anybody (other than possibly yourself, of course!) acts like some folks here do.

Lee perhaps you need to look back through the comments and see where the conversation took the wrong turn...

Yes Lee we all know there is tolerances either plus or minus to the specs.
While you might have the time to go through several toilets and find one that is far enough to one side of the specs to fit those of us in the trade would not.
We simple look at the numbers given an determine whether or not the toilet is a viable option.
We under stand how SPC works. but don't use it to drive up costs on a job.
On the other hand even the savvy handyman avoids things like that whenever possible...

I'm just saying...

Ah, you still have it wrong! The savvy handyman, yours truly, is the one who got the toilet installed where the local plumber (the same one who wanted to bring in a backhoe and widen my trench so he would not have to lay on his belly to replace my sewer line) and the supply house had nothing to offer or suggest other than possibly cutting the old flange out of the slab and installing a new one ... and just what might that have cost?!

Git 'er done!

Ah, you still have it wrong! The savvy handyman, yours truly
Apparently we have differing views on that...

Lee Maybe some of us get tired of your ranking on experienced plumbers giving good advice...
Smartazz comments are met with smartazz comments...
Complain all you want but if you live by the sword then you also die by it.
Your comments came back to you...

While your experience with the toilet may have worked, SPC quality control establishes statistical minimum and maximum dimensions for variation from the print for rejection. this does give leeway in the dimensions to a degree. However, going over an inch from the specified rough towards the statistical minimum is really stretching it and I would consider it to be bad advice. Sitting in a store opening their entire inventory up assembling and measuring hoping to find one that works is unimaginable considering your toilet may have been one that was missed for rejection.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; My recent installations of a sewer line and toilet were *at least* as good as *any* plumber would have done, and I could *never* have afforded *any* plumber to do them.

And have you EVER heard any DIYer, or handyman, say, "The work I did was lousy, the poorest quality anyone has ever seen?" Nope, it is always "AT LEAST as good" as "ANY PLUMBER" which is a generalization and your opinion based on the plumbers you have been in contact with. Now, when you could ""NEVER AFFORD ANY plumber", then you have to be satisifed with what you do yourself. But if you cannot afford plumbers, HOW do you know what kind of work they would have done? Does the term "rationalizing" mean anything to you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks