Any problems with this bathroom layout?

Users who are viewing this thread

trinitony

Reaction score
This is the upper level of a two story, and bathroom remodel.

The toilet will be turned so that the tank is along the right wall. The door into the master closet (bottom right) is now 32", and the shower has been move over maybe by 6". I will like to install a 6' tub and not 5' as shown in the drawing.

Thanks!

Attachments

• roughbath.jpg
    roughbath.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 10,029

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As Dolly Parton once said, "It looks like you are trying to put 10 gallons of mud into a 5 gallon bucket". At the very least I would rotate the toilet so it is under the shelf unit. And that door next to the shower looks like it will have to be LESS than 2'-0" to fit into the space which makes it almost useless.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Exchange the position of the (turned) toilet and shower; that will give you more room for the entry door. A two foot door may not even by allowed by your local building code.

trinitony

Reaction score
As Dolly Parton once said, "It looks like you are trying to put 10 gallons of mud into a 5 gallon bucket". At the very least I would rotate the toilet so it is under the shelf unit. And that door next to the shower looks like it will have to be LESS than 2'-0" to fit into the space which makes it almost useless.

ok, I did mention that the toilet was going to be rotated, and the door was going to be 32 inches. I guess I should of redrawn the entire diagram to scale before posting. Oh, that shelf unit is no more.. lol..I did write 32 on the diagram but it came out so so small..

Last edited:

trinitony

Reaction score
Exchange the position of the (turned) toilet and shower; that will give you more room for the entry door. A two foot door may not even by allowed by your local building code.

The entry door is now 32", I should of erase the orignal 2' before posting. Did mention it though - anything else? Thanks for the answeres.

trinitony

Reaction score
this is what I should of originally post...

now shower the toilet turned, and the bottom door label 32 " wide

Attachments

• roughbath.jpg
    roughbath.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,140

trinitony

Reaction score
Terry on the original design, that is exactly how it was done. And where the door is now, was originally designed for storage and small TV. Wifey didn't like the idea of having to go through the toilet to get to the bath.:D I tried to talk her into it, but she wouldn't go for it.

Last edited:

trinitony

Reaction score
The door would be better placed between the shower and the toilet.
That would also allow for a much larger shower.

Terry or anyone - as someone else above suggested, and my wife sort of hinted to, would it be wise to flip the toilet and the shower from a functional standpoint. This is the rear corner of the house with a window - trying to paint the picture here. Top right hand corner in the below pic.

Should the toilet be closest to a window?

Attachments

• PICT0256.jpg
    PICT0256.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,091

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only hassle with any plumbing near a window is running the vent. Since a toilet can be wet vented, it isn't as big a problem as a sink.

trinitony

Reaction score
now shower the toilet turned, and the bottom door label 32 " wide

I'm now thinking about moving the right wall over 1 foot so that I could have a bigger shower and more floor space with the 6' tub. The MB closet next to the bathroom is (I think) 12 by 8, and really doesn't have to be that large. What u guys think? Moving the wall over will only take a couple hours, so no problem there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Extend the tub platform past the window, and make the area from it to the corner the shower stall. Put the door in the center and the toilet next to it. That eliminates the "pinch point" between the shower corner and the tub platform to get to the toilet. The door only has to be 2'-0" clear, because it is not the primary entry, and that should leave you enough room to install a "knee wall" next to the toilet if she does not like to see it when entering the room, since the toilet only needs 30" between the walls.

trinitony

Reaction score
Extend the tub platform past the window, and make the area from it to the corner the shower stall. Put the door in the center and the toilet next to it. That eliminates the "pinch point" between the shower corner and the tub platform to get to the toilet. The door only has to be 2'-0" clear, because it is not the primary entry, and that should leave you enough room to install a "knee wall" next to the toilet if she does not like to see it when entering the room, since the toilet only needs 30" between the walls.

hj - sounds like u been talking with my wife.:D She said the same thing (minus the 30", she say 36" or nothing since she has to clean behind it and to think about resale for some folks), of course when she's talking she's not considering the work involved..lol. The 'pinch point' was a concern and that's why we decided to go out a foot more to the right. Only thing though is that I'm trying to visualize the knee wall. I'll draw a rough diagram of what I think you've said and post it.

Thanks!

trinitony

Reaction score
Final...

This is final - it will my third time moving the entrance on the right to my master closet. After visiting showrooms this past weekend, we saw an 8' vanity (3+3+ 2' makeup station) which wifey must have.

What you guys think?;)

Attachments

• tony1.jpg
    tony1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,053

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the pocket doors fit in behind the shower, my preference is to build the wall out some to support the tile better than the shallow supports they ususally come with. Also, for the pocket door hardware, check out www.johnsonhardware.com. I was very impressed with their line of hardware. I ended up with a two channel trolly for a heavier door than I had need of, and it is quiet, and moves with barely a push from one end of the track to the other. They have various systems for doors weighing up to (I think) 300#), so they're all overkill for any typical door you might have in a home. I think mine was rated for 150#. Their thin stud replacements are wood wrapped in a metal U-channel to make them stiffer (and straighter!) than the typical stuff you see. I didn't use them, though, and built a normal 2x4 wall for the pocket at the head end of my tub/shower. This gave me room for the plumbing and the flexural strength I felt I needed for the tile.

trinitony

Reaction score
If the pocket doors fit in behind the shower, my preference is to build the wall out some to support the tile better than the shallow supports they ususally come with. Also, for the pocket door hardware, check out www.johnsonhardware.com. I was very impressed with their line of hardware. I ended up with a two channel trolly for a heavier door than I had need of, and it is quiet, and moves with barely a push from one end of the track to the other. They have various systems for doors weighing up to (I think) 300#), so they're all overkill for any typical door you might have in a home. I think mine was rated for 150#. Their thin stud replacements are wood wrapped in a metal U-channel to make them stiffer (and straighter!) than the typical stuff you see. I didn't use them, though, and built a normal 2x4 wall for the pocket at the head end of my tub/shower. This gave me room for the plumbing and the flexural strength I felt I needed for the tile.

Tks, I was looking at ^ earlier this morning.:D Google has become my best friend lately..lol Glad to hear good reviews on their hardware. Oh, I already planned on building the wall out due to electrical, like adding a 2 x 3 onto the exisiting framing.

Last edited:

trinitony

Reaction score
This is final - it will my third time moving the entrance on the right to my master closet. After visiting showrooms this past weekend, we saw an 8' vanity (3+3+ 2' makeup station) which wifey must have.

What you guys think?;)

oops, that diag' should read 13' 8" and 10' 8"

trinitony

Reaction score
pocket doors are in...

shown with some spare doors I have...the main entrance to the bathroom, and the entrance to the master closet...

Attachments

• mini-IMG_4229.JPG
    mini-IMG_4229.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 332
  • mini-IMG_4223.JPG
    mini-IMG_4223.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 332
  • mini-IMG_4231.JPG
    mini-IMG_4231.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 363
  • mini-IMG_4224.JPG
    mini-IMG_4224.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 334

trinitony

Reaction score
I ended up putting 36" between the toilet and the knee wall. I've run cut off valves into the knee wall for the bathroom.

What is the typical height and depth of a knee wall?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A nice layout compared to the first ones.

I see a possible few problems.

1) To stand in front of the right hand sink it looks like the corner of the tub frame will it be in the way?
2) Also, does the right hand vanity have a door or draws on the very far right. A door it will bang into the tub frame and may not open all the way.
3) If there are draws, will they be able to be opened enough?
4) Where is the door for the shower? It should be facing the vanity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks