The NSPC permits s-traps?

Users who are viewing this thread

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Hi guys. Here in Illinois it is against code to run the disposal into a end waste and use a single trap. Each fixture has to have its own trap. The way we do it is a 2" line in the wall come out with a 1 1/2 double Wye. The center of the double Wye would be the clean out, then each side of the double Wye would have a trap. So the picture here is not that far off base to what meets the Illinois plumbing code.

DoubleSinkDrain.jpg

North Jersey

Reaction score
Which ever way you go, could you post some pictures when done?
Terry
If I'm ever done, I'll gladly post some pictures. :)

Hi guys. Here in Illinois it is against code to run the disposal into a end waste and use a single trap. Each fixture has to have its own trap. The way we do it is a 2" line in the wall come out with a 1 1/2 double Wye. The center of the double Wye would be the clean out, then each side of the double Wye would have a trap. So the picture here is not that far off base to what meets the Illinois plumbing code.

Terry and Doherty tell me the type of installation in the picture will result in siphoning. Have you ever experienced this phenomenon with your double wye configuration?

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
If I'm ever done, I'll gladly post some pictures. :)

Terry and Doherty tell me the type of installation in the picture will result in siphoning. Have you ever experienced this phenomenon with your double wye configuration?

Nope never had an issue. As I said its allowed here in Illinois. Its best to check with your local plumbing inspector to see what meets the code by you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There always needs to be a cleanout on a kitchen sink.
The double wye makes sense too. One trap doesn't run by the other like in the first drawing, it's more like a double fixture fitting in that the arms come in equally and not by each other. The cleanout in the center would be the same in other codes as the clean out either on the arm or on the vertical below.
Kitchens need cleaning out more then most other fixtures because of the grease, and from the disposers.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It would seem to be true, however we always have to look at the local inspector and please him or her.

Years ago, I plumbed seven meat markets for a large chain. Since the stores were located in different cities and counties, I had to meet with each local inspector to find out how I was going to pass inspection. Everything was supposed to be UPC code, however I wound up plumbing each one differently.

North Jersey

Reaction score
The inspector didn't allow that connection below the flood rim, even though the ejector would prevent a backup in the event of a clog. I guess a foolproof system is the way to go. I'll just have to tie into a different vent group where I can connect at an appropriate height above the flood rim.

The inspector also told me that he wanted a 2" vent for the ejector, but I think the applicable code says 'the sump for macerating toilets shall be vented with a 1-1/4" pipe.' (NSPC 11.7.10) The manufacturer's guideline for my pump is 1-1/2", and my system is a self-contained SaniFlo unit that is designed to sit above grade. The inspector is the type of guy who seems pretty open to feedback, but I don't want to risk burning any bridges on a fairly minor issue. I may need to rely on his generous spirit if I ever try to expand my septic system.

Last edited by a moderator:

North Jersey

Reaction score
The inspector ended accepting the manufacturer's instructions (1-1/2" vent) becaue the SaniFlo is more like a macerating toilet than an ejector pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks