toilet wet vent in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Christoff

Reaction score
i was wondering if you can run shower and tub drains to the 2" lav wet vent to the toilet?
i don't know if the code is different in ontario. do the shower and tub have to have their own drain connection to the 3" toilet pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4,253

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i was wondering if you can run shower and tub drains to the 2" lav wet vent to the toilet?
i don't know if the code is different in ontario. do the shower and tub have to have their own drain connection to the 3" toilet pipe.

You could simply just wet vent all 3 fixtures downstream of the lav by making the lav drain 2" all the way up to the shower connection which would need to be a 3x2" wye so that downstream of the shower is a 3" wet vent.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nothing there will meet code. I wish I had the capability to draw it out for you but at this point I don't think you understand DWV well enough to be able to design the thing by yourself. Besides proper venting, proper slope, distance and use of fittings all comes into play not to mention how everything changes once the framing is in place. You need a professional to do this before it winds up costing you twice what it should.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Nothing there will meet code.

Not true at all.

doherty-02.jpg

The green circle is your a-typical wet vent of a bathroom group. There is nothing wrong there at all.

The area circled in red is a concern because that appears to be a 1.5" flat dry vent. If it is you can't have a vent run flat like that until it is at an elevation of 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture it serves.

The area circled in blue is a floor drain I am assuming. If it is this is also perfectly ok and hopefully it's a 3" floor drain so you can classify it as an emergency floor drain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christoff

Reaction score
the red area is a flat vent for about a foot and then straight up the wall to above the flood rim level, but i will use a t wye at 45 degrees and i think it will be acceptable am i correct mr. doherty
and yes a 3" floor drain, and thanks for chiming in.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
the red area is a flat vent for about a foot and then straight up the wall to above the flood rim level, but i will use a t wye at 45 degrees and i think it will be acceptable am i correct mr. doherty
and yes a 3" floor drain, and thanks for chiming in.

As long as you come off the drain line with the vent at a nominally horizontal angle (or better you are ok). That is to say that you need to bring the vent off at least at 45*.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No the red area is not to code because the lav dumps into the tub drain then into the toilet line. The wet vent can not come off a branch of the main drain line.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No the red area is not to code because the lav dumps into the tub drain then into the toilet line. The wet vent can not come off a branch of the main drain line.

Huh? As long as the laundry has it's own vent (which is must or else it's s-trapped) the red area is perfectly ok if the vent for the tub comes off at a nominally vertical angle.

As for the bathroom group wet vent there is nothing wrong with what's he's drawn up.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not by the 09 IPC it ain't. You can not have the wet vent running off a branch from the main line. In that particular drawing there is no vent for the tub if the lav is draining

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The only thing that I find questionable is the section in the green circle. The 2 fixtures are not both draining in the same vertical continuous waste and vent.

That's the way I interpret the code anyway

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,266

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The only thing that I find questionable is the section in the green circle. The 2 fixtures are not both draining in the same vertical continuous waste and vent.

That's the way I interpret the code anyway

You mean the tub and the sink? If so then what you quoted from the code book wouldn't apply because they're not both wet venting fixtures. Only the lav is a wet venting fixture.

The code clause you quoted is referring to a system where you have to wet vented fixtures draining into a vertical soil or waste stack, or branch, or w/e and they are connected at the SAME vertical elevation you must connect them with a double fitting.

There is only one vertical portion of piping that is wet vented and that's from the sink.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
You mean the tub and the sink? If so then what you quoted from the code book wouldn't apply because they're not both wet venting fixtures. Only the lav is a wet venting fixture.

The qouted clause refers to 2 wet venting fixtures venting 1 fixture, in this case the toilet. The tub needs to be seperately vented and the lav becomes the wet venting fixture for the toilet.(as the latter part of the qoute states), that is the way I am interpreting it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks