need advice on water treatment system

Users who are viewing this thread

bronzemaxell

Reaction score
Hi, i am new
and i have onsite well 100 to 150 feet range deep, onsite septic, and was told i need acid neutralizer and water softner to correct the water. house has 3.5 bath,
i am very confused on what brand, feature and size to buy, and local contractors want $2.5 to $3k.
does any one have a good recommendation.

here are my water testing result
Raw ( Limit )
Hardness 9 (4 GPG )
PH 6.3 (7.0 – 8.5 )
Iron 2.5 ( .3 ppm)
Color slight color ( clear)
CO2 65 ( 30 ppm)

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi, i am new
and i have onsite well 100 to 150 feet range deep, onsite septic, and was told i need acid neutralizer and water softner to correct the water. house has 3.5 bath,
i am very confused on what brand, feature and size to buy, and local contractors want $2.5 to $3k.
does any one have a good recommendation.

here are my water testing result
Raw ( Limit )
Hardness 9 (4 GPG )
PH 6.3 (7.0 – 8.5 )
Iron 2.5 ( .3 ppm)
Color slight color ( clear)
CO2 65 ( 30 ppm)
Do you want to be independent as a DIYer or dependent on a local dealer for installation and repairs?

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
I would buy a softener that has a mechanical not computer controlled head like a Fleck. Once the computer gets screwed up you might as well buy a new one. Computers and water don't mix! You might try a Kinetico, no electricity needed, they may have other faults too.

bronzemaxell

Reaction score
Do you want to be independent as a DIYer or dependent on a local dealer for installation and repairs?

Hi, Gary

I am interested in DIYer for installation and repairs, my field is not in plumbing, but i can do electric and plumbing works.

as i am confused what type or brand to get, i've read the fleck 5600, 7000 control with separate brine tank, then there is a timer vs. meter, micro-control
i saw ********* and lowes selling GE and whirlpool brand for $539 to $749 with 40,000 grain, 48,000 grain, and with good reviews from buyers.

http://www.*********.com/webapp/wcs..._-D26X-_-100664232&locStoreNum=159&marketID=1

are the ********* and lowes water softner equipments junk, or they have improved over the years?

currently only two people in the house, but the family can grow in next few years, and trying to determine the proper size equipment for my need.

another question on acid neutralizer,
i saw read on this website
http://www.midatlanticwater.net/acid.neutralizers.upflow.10x54.bypass.php
it has the non-backwashing acid neutralizer, are they any good, or not as efficient, more trouble than the backwashing units.

many thanks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I would buy a softener that has a mechanical not computer controlled head like a Fleck. Once the computer gets screwed up you might as well buy a new one. Computers and water don't mix! You might try a Kinetico, no electricity needed, they may have other faults too.
You would buy a new control valve instead of a new circuit board? That's not a good choice or advice.

I guess you haven't been selling water treatment or you sell water powered Kinetico, otherwise you would know that control valve circuit boards rarely fail and then it's not due to getting wet.

BTW, trolling motors and in/outboard motors, fish finders and depth finders, GPS equipment, boat battery chargers etc. have computers and all, even laptop computers are used in boats of all kinds in/on waters everywhere. Right? So how do you suppose a control valve circuit board is going to get wet?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Hi, Gary

I am interested in DIYer for installation and repairs, my field is not in plumbing, but i can do electric and plumbing works.

as i am confused what type or brand to get, i've read the fleck 5600, 7000 control with separate brine tank, then there is a timer vs. meter, micro-control
i saw ********* and lowes selling GE and whirlpool brand for $539 to $749 with 40,000 grain, 48,000 grain, and with good reviews from buyers.

are the ********* and lowes water softner equipments junk, or they have improved over the years?
You don't want a big box brand, they don't come in larger than 1.2 cuft, the cabinet makes them hard to work on and they don't last but 2-5 years before they need new parts.

The 5600 can't be used for larger than a 2.0 cuft and the 7000, a 1.25" valve, is actually overkill for most homes but it works for smaller houses. I like electronic timers because for a DIYer customer they are easier to program and have features mechanical timers don't have.

currently only two people in the house, but the family can grow in next few years, and trying to determine the proper size equipment for my need.

another question on acid neutralizer, the non-backwashing acid neutralizer, are they any good, or not as efficient, more trouble than the backwashing units.
Do not buy an upflow AN filter, backwashed only.

To learn how to correctly size a softener, click the link in my signature.

Last edited:

bronzemaxell

Reaction score
thanks Gary

i am looking the Fleck 7000 metered on demend model,
that is the difference between SE and SXT,
based on my water test result and consumption in future, i am looking at a 48,000 to 64,000 grain
is it ok to oversize the water softner? or just less frequent regenerate.
i am also interested to make the water drinkable, will Reverse Osmosis system do that? or i have to test the water again after installed water softner

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
It sounds as if you didn't read my sizing info very well.

How many cuft do you need based on what K of capacity you need for a regeneration on average once every 7-9 days?

No it is not OK to oversize a softener, that can cause channeling and doing manual regenerations to cure that which ruins your salt and water efficiencies.

bronzemaxell

Reaction score
i calculated 30k grain is enough, but i want to factor in future growth, big house.
and the sales guy where i bought the softner told with fleck 7000 sxt, i can call the tech support to program the fleck 7000sxt 64k to do 32k.
is that true?
i also bought the AN filter with fleck 7000 eletronic control, auto baskwash, 2.5cf, 13gpm flow 13x54 tank.

It sounds as if you didn't read my sizing info very well.

How many cuft do you need based on what K of capacity you need for a regeneration on average once every 7-9 days?

No it is not OK to oversize a softener, that can cause channeling and doing manual regenerations to cure that which ruins your salt and water efficiencies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks