Replacement Anode for AO Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin in Michigan

Reaction score
This site is great. Wish I'd read about AO Smith reputation before installing one.... oh well. Model is GPSH 50 200. Hot water smells (like sulpher). No smell on cold water. I soften my well water. Mfr date is 7/2005. Installed late 2005. I have read recommendations on this site to leave anode alone, but feel I have to replace or add a second rod. Is it correct that original rod is not under either the water inlet or outlet? There was mention on this site of a sectional rod offered by AO Smith that installs below hot water outlet line. Can someone provide a part number or a link to the part? Expert guidance will be much appreciated.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Look for a hex nut on the top of the heater...it will be attatched to it...you will need an impact gun or a long breaker bar and socket to remove the old one...they sell new ones at Home D and plumbing supply houses...

Basil

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue, and wondered if this worked for you or was it a dead end?

dargo

Reaction score
I still cannot understand why they posted "Wish I'd read about AO Smith reputation before installing one.... oh well."...They are inline with all other tanks if installed correctly...They work like all others and all need some maintance time to time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Out here it is "Welcome to (name your Western state), now go home". You are correct that EVERY manufacturer has his share of bad heaters, and it is the "luck of the draw" whether the one you get will last one week or twenty years.

oldanbo

Reaction score
Having the same issue here. House built and w/h installed in 1997. AO Smith 50 or 55 gal with external recirc installed. Question is, any idea what I should expect to pay a plumber to replace anode? I'm gettin too old for doing some of this myself.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It shouldn't be more than the basic service call plus the cost of the part (cheap). Note, sometimes they can be a bear to get out, but the plumber should have the right tools to remove it. Sometimes, if it is near the end of its life, just the jarring of removing it could hasten its demise. The easiest way to remove it is with an impact wrench (which is how they are installed). If you don't have enough vertical height, then you will need a segmented one (which can be bent).

dargo

Reaction score
Is your water that bad you need to replace? I have never replaced on in 25 years...AO Smith is inline with all others..

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Is your water that bad you need to replace? I have never replaced on in 25 years...AO Smith is inline with all others..

Some water softener systems remove chemicals that kill certain bacteria, without the chlorination the bacteria livein the water heater and basically multiply with the magnesium rod. The bacteria is generally harmless but produces a sulfuric smell. Replacing the anod rod with an aluminum one as HJ suggests usually takes care of it.

I designed a highrise just north of Miami that used a whole building softener without telling us, they added the system right before they opened. Within a month or two the GC was calling us looking for a solution. They had to replace the rods on 80+ 120 gallon heaters. Even better they moved the water heaters from where they were shown on the plans and tucked them under ductwork that was common in every unit. They had to cut each rod out and put in segmented ones..........

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the head of your rod if is smooth then it is already a aluminum rod

if magnesium it will have a welding bead on top center of the head

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks