Supply (& DWV) lines in exterior walls

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Perhaps Terry is best one to answer this one as I'm in Seattle so he knows the weather.... I'm wondering if it is acceptable to run supply lines in an exterior wall? (We'd be able to insulate.) As none of the bath's interior walls are shared w/ the downstairs (large open kitchen area) my other choice would seem to be to run up to attic and back down. What's best?

(For sure I'd have to run the drains down the exterior... I assume that is fine?)

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Perhaps Terry is best one to answer this one as I'm in Seattle so he knows the weather.... I'm wondering if it is acceptable to run supply lines in an exterior wall? (We'd be able to insulate.) As none of the bath's interior walls are shared w/ the downstairs (large open kitchen area) my other choice would seem to be to run up to attic and back down. What's best?

(For sure I'd have to run the drains down the exterior... I assume that is fine?)

The trouble with questions like this is all your answers have to be comfirmed by your local jurisdiction.

A lot of areas will allow supply lines on exterior walls, but they require insulation on the outer wall and none on the pipe, the pipe has to be run as close a possible to the inner wall.

Most attics are cold areas, not a good idea to run water pipe in there.

Drains run on the exterior are usually not permitted, like I said you have to ask locally, sorry. :(

DavidTu

Reaction score
Drains run on the exterior are usually not permitted, like I said you have to ask locally, sorry. :(

Does that mean you cannot have a fixture on the exterior wall (i.e. drop down wall to floor level) or that you cannot have a stack on the exterior wall? (or both!?)

(No insulation on pipe so that inside air can warm it, right?)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Seattle you can do it.

Just don't insulate the pipe in the wall, make sure the blanket of insulation is on the outside.
If you put pipe insulation around the pipe in an outside wall, it will freeze quicker.
It needs to get warmth from the inside of the home.

Running pipes in an attic
Don't put any insulation around the pipes.
Remove all insulation below the pipe, and lay fiberglass batts over them.
Between the ceiling joists on either side, lay two more batts, keeping space open below the pipes.
The heat from the home must be able to get to the pipes, and then you trap it.
A pipe in an uninsulated attic will freeze otherwise.

If you change the pipes, then PEX would be good.

Example of pipes in an attic.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Seattle it never gets that cold.
Surrounded by water on both sides, the Salish Sea (Puget Sound) to the West and Lake Washington to the East.
Seattle plumbing code allows waste, vents and water in exterior walls.

As always, during a cold snap you should open doors on exterior cabinets to allow warm air to the exterior walls that have plumbing ( kitchen sinks are a biggie)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks