Is an above floor drain my only solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

ndog

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was here getting some good advice on purchasing a tub. Now that the project's started I've run into a huge snag. The old tub was an above floor drain model but I didn't know this until after I bought my new tub and pulled the old one. The new tub is exactly what I want and I got it for the right price so I'd like to make it work if possible; but I'm not willing to cut corners or compromise safety.

The floor joists are 2x8 conventional and according to the building code I can't drill them; the maximum permitted hole size is 1 3/4" which of course won't fit the 1.5" pipe. I can't cut out the joist and box it/ build headers because of the toilet drain which I don't see how I could move since that just creates the same problem I'm having now--just with larger pipes. The only solution I can see is an above floor drain tub, am I missing something?

The old tub had a ptrap in the floor where the pipe is then a vertical piece of abs, a sani-tee and the overflow drain shoe connected to that.

In the diagram the X is where the new tub's drain has to be located.
drain..jpg

edit: I should note even if I were to ignore the building code and drill; the "safe" area in the centre is too low for the shoe to meet up with the tub.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How about a photo.
With 8" joists, you almost always have to go below or between the joists and then drop down again. Then you are only boxing in the corners.
They don't build em like they used to do they.
Most modern homes have 10" joists.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, without a picture I have to guess at things, and one guess would be that even if you used a Watco green "flexible" drain with the trap right under the tub's outlet, you might still have a problem getting the overflow to the drain's tee without cutting some wood, but there might be enough room to slip it in between the tub and the joist without cutting.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The floor joists are 2x8 conventional and according to the building code I can't drill them; the maximum permitted hole size is 1 3/4" which of course won't fit the 1.5" pipe. .
How much damage do you think you are going to create if the hole is 2 1/8"? An extra 3/8" over the entire hole to make your life alot easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks