Gulf oil disaster

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This is really starting to annoy me.

Take it from a Brit, if you've got a leak America CALL IN A PLUMBER! Not many good ones made it over on the boat here but hey.

And I don't see a single one.

Here's my solution: send the top hat down and freeze the water around the leak. Just like what you might do with changing a leaking main valve.

BP are sending Toto to fix a problem that requires American Standard.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They have "American" workers on the problem now Ian.
What's your point?

Are you saying they need workers from other parts of the world to figure this out?
Maybe someone from England, they people that only have hot water in the house on weekends?
And low piddly pressure at that?
I doubt that the English would know how to work on high pressure piping.

It is a shame, all this talk of that exact area being a "dead zone" in the Gulf from farming pollution and now they dump oil into it.
It's just sad.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
What's your point?

My point was that plumbers would probably have better ideas to fix the leak but I bet they haven't called any.

And the rest was just my usual jibes at Americans.

Blame America first.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My point was that plumbers would probably have better ideas to fix the leak but I bet they haven't called any.

And the rest was just my usual jibes at Americans.

Blame America first.

Errmm.... a plumber would know nothing about stoping an oil leak 5000' below the oceans surface.

You can't just pick up parts for that at your local wholesaler....

Smith333

Reaction score
Google " Ixtoc 1". Same type of incident, except much more oil. It happened in 1979 - 1980 and nobody even remembers it.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Errmm.... a plumber would know nothing about stoping an oil leak 5000' below the oceans surface.

I'm not asking him to do it, just what might work. The same principles apply whether you're plumbing at 10 atmospheres of pressure or 1000.

Google " Ixtoc 1". Same type of incident, except much more oil. It happened in 1979 - 1980 and nobody even remembers it.

Interesting. Red Adair capped that one. And he sounded like a plumber, although he was a bomb disposal expert.

"It scares you—all the noise, the rattling, the shaking. But the look on everybody's face when you're finished and packing, it's the best smile in the world; and there's nobody hurt, and the well's under control."

"Retire? I don't know what that word means. As long as a man is able to work and he's productive out there and he feels good—keep at it. I've got too many of my friends that retired and went home and got on a rocking chair, and about a year and a half later, I'm always going to the cemetery."

"There are two things I really like about my job. When the phone rings I never know where I'm heading to next - and I'm never bothered by life-insurance salesmen!"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
When this oil slick pulls around florida and heads up the east coast, and we start having hurricanes in that area?

One of the hugest man made disasters is going to unfold in front of our eyes.

No way one company can possibly pay for the billions in damage that is coming. This tiers into a social disaster more than ecological when you figure how many will lose (beaches/fisheries/vacation industry)

And the health problems from the exposure by air will start bogging down the hospitals in those areas. Evaporation process, I'm not sure of but clouds don't exist without evaporation and I don't know if particulates of this disaster can reach the sky or not.

The media is just teasing us with the disaster....it's more than anyone knows.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I just heard on the news this AM that BP had engaged Kevin Kostner...the actor....because apparenly he has invented some kind of device to recover oil from the near shore, to ward off the ecological damages. I haven't seen the detail of this yet, but if it works......git'r done!!!!!!!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I think taxpayers should pay for it.

Like they should for health and higher education.

This is not my country, but I wouldn't mind putting my hand in my pocket to prevent harm to people along the affected Coasts.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Here's an inside story:

A russian company was on that platform when this all transpired. Their bit got stuck when they was drilling. This company told BP that it would take weeks to get that bit freed up and BP said no, hurry up and drill down beside the casing to free it up.

When that new bit went down to free it up, it was red hot and was told to BP how dangerous it was to do that, knowing there was natural gas pockets.

That's what triggered the explosion...BP wanting speed and not safety.

What you'll see in the next 10 years is BP disappearing from the landscape of retail, meaning gas stations. Same way with Exxon, you don't see many of those around much anymore.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What I understand about British Petroleum is BP = Big Problems...

Ixtoc 1 went for 9 months before it was capped....

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just heard on the news this AM that BP had engaged Kevin Kostner...the actor....because apparenly he has invented some kind of device to recover oil from the near shore, to ward off the ecological damages.

Costner has been financing the development of the technology for the past fifteen years. Basically centrifuges capable of handling up to 200 gallons per minute. Last I heard they'll be trying it out next week.

As with any accident of this magnitude, more than one thing had to go wrong. If they lose the wellhead before they finish the two relief wells it could be the makings of an unprecedented disaster. Guess the safety celebtration BP was having onboard was a little premature.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Ideally US taxpayers would have paid for it, but they don't seem interested.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And yet Obama, the smartest guy to ever be president is running around telling everyone this is the wors environmental disaster in history.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
...make that the worst environmental disaster in US history.

Despite being in the gulf (and quite huge), Ixtoc 1 was in the Yucatan, more than 500 miles from from US shores. It's impact on US estuaries was far less due to to both dilution and the two months of warning in which there was time to form and implement a mitigation plan. This blunted the environmental effects in the US considerably. Although the damage in Texas was still significant, it's was not nearly what is now expected in LA/MI/AL (no matter what measures are taken.) The barrier islands protecting the TX coast are much more substantial & continous than those in LA/MI too- it was simply easier to protect.

As a single-event type of environmental disaster, it's hard to think of any past incidents in the US that will have the kind of impact that this oil spill will. Killing the grasses that hold the barrier islands together will leave the the inner coastal marshlands set up for the 1-2 punch on gulf storms in years to come. If the coral reefs in FL are impacted things could get very dicey in the Keys over the next few decades too. The Florida Keys are much closer to this spill than Texas is to Ixpoc-I. This party is just getting started.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Betcha in 5 years, you won't be driving F150s because of this and gas will be more expensive too.

It it had happened on foreign shores no one here would care.

When it happens at home, Americans start to sit up and take notice. Not on my doorstep mister.

It is a mixed blessing.

It's American oil, drilled on American shores for American consumers.

American voters will think of Florida wetlands and Louisiana shrimp farmers next time they fill up at the pump.

Whereas they rarely think twice about the polar ice caps or the turmoil in the Middle East.

Don't undersestimate just how much this will change the world. And all because, for once, America's love of oil has affected the lives and livelihoods of Americans directly.

It is an environmental tragedy, but you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Oil is now dead because you cannot fill your car with gas when your neighbor's yard looks like this.

edca20237d79e2e31a1bdadd15bd-grande.jpg

Nothing pisses an American off more than seeing another American suffer.

So y'all better suck it up and start taking the bus.

I know I will be.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
America is always there for all the other countries. We put our lives and money on the line for so many others, which we get so little thanks for, instead a whole lot of criticism. Let's see who helps us.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks