Is this a check valve installed on my WH return line???

Users who are viewing this thread

Handiman

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to figure out if I need the check valve already installed on my recirculating pump or not. I can't tell if this (pic) is actually a check valve already installed on my WH return line right above the recirculating pump. If it is, I guess I can remove the check valve that is built in to my recirculating pump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know, one of the pros probably will know. But, two check valves, as long as they are both installed for flow the same direction won't hurt things, so I probably wouldn't remove one now that it is together.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
That is a check valve. I would not remove it unless I knew for sure what is's there for. Depending on how the piping is run it can have two.

Handiman

Reaction score
That is a check valve. I would not remove it unless I knew for sure what is's there for. Depending on how the piping is run it can have two.

Thanks. It was installed on the return line for the WH, right above the recirculating pump. I'm assuming it must be for the recirculating pump, so I'm thinking I might as well remove the little cheap plastic check valve that is installed in my new recirculating pump.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a check valve, but it could also be a "defective check valve" depending on how old it is. It could have a gate that is either stuck open or closed, or the gate could have worn out and is just lying inside the valve. There is no way to tell other than to open the top, or take the valve out and shake it to see if it still moves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks