Kenmore 350 water softener leaking at O-ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Turner

Bob T.
Reaction score
I have a Kenmore Model 350 water softener with a persistent leak at the discharge-side O-ring on the diverter valve. I have changed the O-ring and applied silicone grease but the connection continues to drip. Any suggestions?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it leaking at the out of treated side of the bypass? or the piston with in the bypass to have either treated or untreated water in the house?

Last edited:

Bob Turner

Bob T.
Reaction score
The leak is at the treated side of the bypass where it inserts into the softener. It's only a dripping leak but it will collect at the top of the unit and eventually find its way into the brine tank. The problem is usually allignment but the O-ring should account for a bit of mis-allignment. I have tried alligning and re-seating the O-ring but the dripping persists.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, now I know where you are talking about, and depending on the age of the unit and the length of time that the two have been out of allignment it is possible that the female part of the valve is no longer in true round.
If the O ring is still good and not cracked, torn.. then it can no longer handle that miss allignment, you could try a hardware store that has lots of different O rings in the plumbing and see if there is an O ring that is a little bit thicker and lub with the silicon and see if that works to stop the leak.

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
The very end of the bypass (port where it attaches to valve) is a pressed fit piece (sonic welded). You will be wasting your time trying to fix it. Replace the bypass. Trust me. I've tried everything you are thinking or about to think. If you look in the port a lot of times you will see a brown ring. This is where the water is seeping.

Bob Turner

Bob T.
Reaction score
At the present time the problem looks like finding an O-ring that is the proper dimension (thickness) to match the original as supplied with the unit. About a year ago I ordered several and they look to be a bit thinner than the non-leaking side. The leak is small but over time can be problematic by leaking into the brine tank. I have ordered more through Sears and requested the same spec for the replacement O-rings. Time will tell.

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
At the present time the problem looks like finding an O-ring that is the proper dimension (thickness) to match the original as supplied with the unit. About a year ago I ordered several and they look to be a bit thinner than the non-leaking side. The leak is small but over time can be problematic by leaking into the brine tank. I have ordered more through Sears and requested the same spec for the replacement O-rings. Time will tell.
I'm telling you it's not the o-ring. Replace the bypass.

Bob Turner

Bob T.
Reaction score
The problem was eliminated by replacing the bypass (thanks, Skip) by fabricating one with CPVC piping, valves, etc. and running directly into the main valve. No leaks, much better connection. Thanks again. Nice to have soft water again!

tebaldi7

Reaction score
Same issue with water softener

The problem was eliminated by replacing the bypass (thanks, Skip) by fabricating one with CPVC piping, valves, etc. and running directly into the main valve. No leaks, much better connection. Thanks again. Nice to have soft water again!

Hey Bob, could you send me a picture of your new fabricated bypass? I ran through the same problem, i've tried a bunch of o-rings and I can't stop the water leak. If you could send me a picture or explain how you made your new connection I will highly appreciate. My email is tebaldi7@gmail.com. Thanks!

Noyzee1

Reaction score
Just my 2¢

Hey Bob, could you send me a picture of your new fabricated bypass? I ran through the same problem, i've tried a bunch of o-rings and I can't stop the water leak. If you could send me a picture or explain how you made your new connection I will highly appreciate. My email is tebaldi7@gmail.com. Thanks!

Just want to say...
I had the same problem with the original (<10 years old) bypass valve that I also believe was out of round.
I made a temporary fix (until you get another one) by wrapping the offending o-ring with Teflon tape (tightly!) as needed for a snug fit, then greasing with silicone grease.
These Sears/Ecowater bypass valves are very cheap and seem to be one of the problem areas. You may be able to get another "parts unit" off Craig's List like I did for around $50, which solved that problem.
Thanks for viewing,;)
JIM

tiredtech2

Reaction score
Water leaks at bypass softener valve is not the o-rings and turns out to be a small crack found inside, topside at the o-ring junction of inlet side of the bypass valve(old part number stamped on bottomside was 625.34372). After over 18 months of leaking, I tried many o-rings and with padded teflon tape, it helps the leak until it got worse. I have Kenmore Ultasoft 100 water softener for over 10 years, then started leaking. The five Sears part stores in the LA area, always had stock inventory of the new bypass valves 7129871 indicating to me a common replacement part whereas the mating valve body always had to be special ordered. Replacing the Bypass Valve solved my water leak problem.

Moddy

Reaction score
Same problem. Water leaking at the input to Kenmore Ultasoft 200. Replaced the two o-rings on the inlet and outlet and the 4 o-rings on the bypass stem. No change in the leak rate. Replacing the bypass valve would have worked but instead I supported the bypass valve with a 2 x 4 from the floor. The copper was not adequately supported from the ceiling so the weight of the inlet pipes was causing a misalignment of the bypass. The weight of the pipes was causing the leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks