Toliet Installation Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Henry G

Reaction score
I'm hoping to install the toilet by the end of the week, but I wanted to double check a few things.

1) What screws should I use to secure the closet flange to the floor? I need to drill a pilot hole through the newly laid tile, and the thinset underneath.

2) The closet flange I purchased has holes for up to 8 screws. Should I just do 4, or add a few more just to be on the safe side?

3) Do I glue the closet flange or not? I've heard some people tell me I should, and some tell me that's a bad idea.

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like #12 stainless steel screws of sufficient length to reach and penetrate the sub floor. Four screws will be plenty just space them around the flange. The flange should be glued to the closet bend. An friction fit PVC or ABS joint is not sealed from water or sewer gas leak.

Henry G

Reaction score
I like #12 stainless steel screws of sufficient length to reach and penetrate the sub floor. Four screws will be plenty just space them around the flange. The flange should be glued to the closet bend. An friction fit PVC or ABS joint is not sealed from water or sewer gas leak.

I never considered the sewer gas leaking. Thanks.

Any specific kind of screw I should use since it will be partially attaching to the tile, and thinset above the wood?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some tile can be quite hard, so you might need a diamond bit to make the holes. If you drill entirely through the tile with a hole big enough for the screw to fit through, make the screw long enough to grab into the wood below. The alternative is to make a bigger hole and use a plastic anchor. A flat head Phillips or square-head screw will give you a bit more grip when you tighten it down. Next time, if you notch the tile before setting, then you won't have to drill holes through the tile.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What part of stainless steel did you not understand? Neither stainless steel or brass will rust out, but brass is not as strong as steel.

Henry G

Reaction score
What part of stainless steel did you not understand?

Haha.. calm down.. geeez

I get the part about using stainless steel due to it non corrosive nature, but I wasn't sure if there was a special screw I should use when trying to attach it partially in the thinset under the tile. The floor had to be leveled around 3/8in in that particular area.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want the screw to bite into the wooden subfloor beneath, so use one long enough for that. OR, you need to make a much bigger hole and use either a lead or plastic anchor to screw the screw into.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks