Air Control Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisw1958

Reaction score
What is a air control valve and what does it do on a bladderless tank? Is it mandatory?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It maintains the air cusion in the top of the tank and no, it's not strictly mandatory but without it you will have to drain the tank and re-establish the air cusion a couple times a year or more.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is more than one type of setup. Peter is referring to one that allows air INTO the tank. When the air bleeders are in the well, a float-style AVC works to allow the excess air OUT of the tank.

Chrisw1958

Reaction score
This had a steel tank and whenever the pump shut off it made a little pffft sound. My boss put in a bladder tank and it is getting air probably from the well as I have learned here. I guess we need to go back with a regular tank but I wondered where to buy the float style avc? Where do you get galvanized tanks all I see is steel with epoxy liner?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Epoxy lined is the "new and improved" galvanized-style tank.

The AVC is Grainger part# 7P020 . Probably also available at any good plumbing wholesaler.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ratio of galvanized tanks to bladder tanks. For every 1 bladder tank in this area there are probably 2 galvanized regular tanks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Funny how they do different things in different parts of the country. Nobody installs non bladder air tanks up here. I have not used one in better than 30 years. Doubt I could even get one from my wholesaler unless I special ordered it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks