Closet Flange Cast Iron - Condition

Users who are viewing this thread

SeibelWerks

SeibelWerks
Reaction score
Website
www.seibelwerks.com
I am installing a new Toto Aquia II toilet in a 50+ year old house. The sanitary lines are cast iron. Here is a picture of the existing flange which is brass with a leaded connection. Note that the flange sits above the tile by about 1/8" to 3/16". I would like to know the following:

1. Is this in an acceptable condition to proceed with new toilet install?
2. If not do I need to install a new flange?
3. Should there be shims under the flange?
4. Do I have the right materials?
5. Any other recommendations?

Just want to make sure before I find out after I install everything and have problems.

Note: Included is a picture of the Toto setup materials to be installed.

Attachments

• 20100307_LFToilet &.jpg
    20100307_LFToilet &.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3,758
    20100307_LFToilet &.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,547
    20100307_LFToilet &.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,026
    20100307_LFToilet &.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,006

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's normal to have the flange on top of the finished floor, so I think you won't have any problems. As long as the lead is not split. It would be nicer if it was smoother around the flange, but the wax should compress and fill in to make a good seal. See what the pros have to say...

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
As jadnashus said if the lead is OK you should be good to go, just be sure you screw the flange to the floor.

John

SeibelWerks

SeibelWerks
Reaction score
Website
www.seibelwerks.com
It is Interesting that the flange wasn't screwed to the floor originally. I am guessing that I need to shim the flange at the anchor points to keep from stressing the connection. Any recommendations for drilling tile?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO connection. The brass flange was just slipped over the lead bend and then beat down to make a funnel/flange. Screw the flange to the floor then use a piece of wood to hammer the lead down against it. It does appear that the lead has at least one hole in it, but the wax ring should cover it, or use a solder gun, not a torch, to to close it up.

Bpetey

Reaction score
It is Interesting that the flange wasn't screwed to the floor originally. I am guessing that I need to shim the flange at the anchor points to keep from stressing the connection. Any recommendations for drilling tile?

I usually use a cordless hammer drill with a tile drill bit and blue painters tape on the tile where I want to drill. Haven't cracked a tile yet. Another method is to center punch the tile then you can use a standard drill and bit. You have to be careful not to crack the tile wen you center punch though.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drill 4 holes large enough to accept #12 stainless steel screws with sufficient length to go into the sub floor. I prefer stainless steel over brass for strength. Much less change of camming out on the head. Be sure the flange is oriented correctly before you drill, you don't want the toilet to sit out of square.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some tile (porcelain, but not all) is much harder than carbide bits. If you have some of that down, a diamond bit will work better making holes.

SeibelWerks

SeibelWerks
Reaction score
Website
www.seibelwerks.com
Installation Complete for 3 toilets

Thanks to everyone's support, I completed the installation for 3 toilets. Attached are images of the toilet installation and the other closet flange conditions. All toilets are working well. The soft close seat is highly recommended.

2 of the 3 toilets had soft tile that was easily drilled with a carbide tip. 1 of the 3 had super hard tile but I managed to muddle through with the carbide. Yes, the diamond tip would have been better.

Attachments

• 20100311_LFToilet-&.jpg
    20100311_LFToilet-&.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 936
  • 20100314_LFToilet-&.jpg
    20100314_LFToilet-&.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 900
  • 20100311_LFToilet_&.jpg
    20100311_LFToilet_&.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 11,557
    20100311_LFToilet_&.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,994
    20100311_LFToilet_&.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,922
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks