Please help me choose a softener for a well with iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks again all.

Im pretty close now to buying and i know i would have made a mistake or spent a ton of cash if it wasnt for you!!

so we narrowed it down to a 1.5 cuft. with standard resin

Will this prevent all staining?\

i should also add a turbiditor (sp?)

and res-up with dispensor.

i dont need a whole house filter. but would it be a good thing to add?\a carbon might make the water taste better?\\

as to the differences in test results, there was very lillte extra water ran from the rep until i took my sample for the lab. maybe 50 gallons. theyre was around 50 gallons ran before the reps test.\ there has been about 500 gallons used since we took possession of the house/

ive decided illl likely buy from these guys as they seem to have the best prices up here when shippings included. http://www.aquatell.com/canada/water-softeners/clack-water-softeners/clack-water-softener-canada-45000-grain
it has a clack head which i want and 1.5 cuft resin. they sell it as a 45k unit. for 759 cad.

would that unit work
thanks again

i should add: all fixtures wil be low flow. theyre is one full bath and a 1/2 bath.

theyre will be a front load washer and a efficent dish washer as well. i think this should put us under the 12 gpm peak??

Staining, It will , with salt settings and gallon settings, cleaning settings dialed to your needs.
Turbo would be a very good idea as it would give an extra to the cleaning cycle and make sure that ALL of the resin gets to spend time at the top of the resin column.

Just put some iron out between the bags of salt and save a piece of equipment and the need for that resin cleaner..

Leave room for a whole house big blue carbon filter, but for now run with out it and see if you need it, if you need it later you can always add it later, but one step at a time...

Your well pump out put is the highest that you are going to hit.. ie if it has a max of 10gpm then that is the best that you would ever be able to do...

Then over the next year or so get a home test kit from a box store or on line and check the untreated water like every 6 months to see if there is any changes to the water , then change the settings on the softener if needed.. and all will be good.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Does not what?
Handle the flow or the treatment?
The resin won't remove all the hardness when the constant SFR gpm of the volume of resin is exceeded.

And I see you are saying that if the pump is a 10 gpm, he can't get more water than 10 gpm.... without knowing a lot about the well etc. that is false.

Here is a pump chart to prove it:
pumpchart..jpg

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
so we narrowed it down to a 1.5 cuft. with standard resin

Will this prevent all staining?\

i should also add a turbiditor (sp?)

and res-up with dispensor.

i dont need a whole house filter. but would it be a good thing to add?\a carbon might make the water taste better?\\

all fixtures will be low flow. theyre is one full bath and a 1/2 bath. theyre will be a front load washer and a efficient dish washer as well. i think this should put us under the 12 gpm peak??
Yes a 1.5 cuft IF the number of bathrooms and type of fixtures don't require a higher constant SFR (service flow rating) or you need better salt efficiency. It will remove your 1 ppm of iron etc..

No Turbulator is needed, you don't have enough iron to justify one and if you go with one you can not have a gravel underbed. Without the gravel underbed the pressure loss across the softener is higher than with one.

Carbon is a great place to grow bacteria and you have well water with no disinfection. And so far you haven't mentioned any need for a carbon filter. So get the softener and see how the water tastes, if bad, then buy a 2 stage drinking water filter with an RO long reach swivel faucet installed on the counter.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
While there may not be the iron to justify... the turbutator Will keep the resin cleaner along with using ALL of the resin, unlike the normal dist that will only use 60% of the resin in the life of the system.
Think of it as an up side down cone.. as the system treats the water the resin close to the dist is the first to get used and works its way down through the system, so that when the unit goes into a cleaning cycle not all of the resin is in need of cleaning there is resin that is still charged..
With the turbo that is still going to happen, just that still charged resin is going to get worked into the rest of the bed and used in the next cleaning cycle.
I have seen units with standard dist run out of salt and fall on its face, while units with the turbo run out of salt and while the water is not fully treated , there is still some treatment going on...

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The resin won't remove all the hardness when the constant SFR gpm of the volume of resin is exceeded.

And I see you are saying that if the pump is a 10 gpm, he can't get more water than 10 gpm.... without knowing a lot about the well etc. that is false.

Here is a pump chart to prove it:
View attachment 10140

Thought that we where talking about Peak flow, not constant flow... if I was doing 12 gpm flow 24/7 then it would be either a 2 cubic foot or 2.5 cubic foot and a 1.5 inch valve... and I most likely would dump the turbo because of a max flow of 17gpm. But the sizing of the unit would also have to work with the flow out put of the well pump....... only a fool puts a unit needing 12gpm backwash on a 7gpm well pump.

scooby074

Reaction score
ill have to try and get the specs on the pump/\ cant say about the depth, but ill guess 60 ft. this is based on opinions from the softener reps.

i can say its a 1/2 hp and its a jet pump. but actual GPM i have no idea.

i wish i could tell you more, but the house was a repo.\il

considering the whole place will be new, low flow fixtures i dont expect to exceed 12 gpm draw.

so the turbo isnt recomended??? i thought it would be cheap insurence if it improved the resin bed operation.

ill pass on the carbon until i know how the water tastes. an undercounter RO might even be a better idea at a later date

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I doubt you will exceed 12 gpm either. I like to run a turbulator for all the reasons AK posted.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
ill have to try and get the specs on the pump/\ cant say about the depth, but ill guess 60 ft. this is based on opinions from the softener reps.

i can say its a 1/2 hp and its a jet pump. but actual GPM i have no idea.

i wish i could tell you more, but the house was a repo.\il

considering the whole place will be new, low flow fixtures i dont expect to exceed 12 gpm draw.

so the turbo isnt recomended??? i thought it would be cheap insurence if it improved the resin bed operation.

ill pass on the carbon until i know how the water tastes. an undercounter RO might even be a better idea at a later date

A 1/2 horse Shallow well pump if the water was 5' down and you did 20PSI you could do 15gpm,,,, but really with what you are doing, where the water is at... you are most likely in the 6gpm range...

Yes the turbo is cheap insurnance and gives better preforance from the resin and salt...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
While there may not be the iron to justify... the turbutator Will keep the resin cleaner along with using ALL of the resin, unlike the normal dist that will only use 60% of the resin in the life of the system.
Think of it as an up side down cone...
Yes the upside down cone happens with all softeners that don't have a gravel underbed. Those that do have the gravel underbed don't have that problem.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes the upside down cone happens with all softeners that don't have a gravel underbed. Those that do have the gravel underbed don't have that problem.

Gravel bed or no Gravel bed it is Going to happen...

The path of least resistance is down the center of any unit.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Thought that we where talking about Peak flow, not constant flow... if I was doing 12 gpm flow 24/7 then it would be either a 2 cubic foot or 2.5 cubic foot and a 1.5 inch valve... and I most likely would dump the turbo because of a max flow of 17gpm. But the sizing of the unit would also have to work with the flow out put of the well pump....... only a fool puts a unit needing 12gpm backwash on a 7gpm well pump.
I said peak demand and constant SFR. The constant SFR is controlled by the volume of resin, nothing more. The 1.5 cuft of resin has a 12 gpm SFR, exceed the 12 gpm and the resin can't remove all the hardness.

The pump chart I posted shows a 12 hp 10 gpm pump delivering 11 up to 16 gpm depending on the 'head' of the system, yet you disagree. What do you base the disagreement on other than the gpm rating of the pump, because that is shown to not be true?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trained in Pumps?
I know that I am not, I have learned from well drillers with years under their belts.. but guess that mean nothing.

1.5 can be pushed to 15gpm with pressure loss and leakage... did not say that it would not have that happen..

The pump curves that you are showing are most likely SQ or SQE or even the SP... but the pump that most still have in the wells are not multi stage pumps.. thus the curves are different.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
What is the basis of your assertion? Is this based on published and verified data or just something you have made up?
Actually it is published because the figures were verified and if you were more than just a person with a softener, such as a knowledgeable water treatment dealer, you'd know where it is published and what I'm talking about..

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Actually it is published because the figures were verified and if you were more than just a person with a softener, such as a knowledgeable water treatment dealer, you'd know where it is published and what I'm talking about..

Until I see a citation for the reference I can only assume you have made it up.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Until I see a citation for the reference I can only assume you have made it up.
Actually the figures were verified and then published. And I cite those figures.

Previously you have said you don't believe my figures and would use the resin manufactures' figures of 1-5 gpm/cuft. If you know anything about peak demand flow rates of houses, or how to calculate it, it is based on the number of fixtures and the type of those fixtures. If you had a peak demand of say 12 gpm for a 2.5 bathroom house with no big tub and one regular shower head in the showers, you would have to size a softener for that house at 3 cuft, right? How many 3.0 cuft softeners do you think are in that size house?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know of a couple,, they are Very nice houses with lots of water flow, and high iron and hardness.
There are even some Bed and Breakfasts that are running that size..
There is a Twin 3 cubic that is feeding a 4000 gallon tank that then feeds 5 right now more later what we call cabins, but realy are small vacation homes..
They where sized based on well production, useage and water comp hardness.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I know of a couple,, they are Very nice houses with lots of water flow, and high iron and hardness.
There are even some Bed and Breakfasts that are running that size..
There is a Twin 3 cubic that is feeding a 4000 gallon tank that then feeds 5 right now more later what we call cabins, but realy are small vacation homes..
They where sized based on well production, useage and water comp hardness.
I am talking the peak demand flow rate gpm of the house. Not how many gallons are used a day.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the starter of this question have any clue as to what is going on?
They are gone and we are over their head if they are still around..

Depending on the Application as to how often Every point is going to be used at the same time... some it will never happen , others it might once a year while others might only it once every 10 years...

There is a balance to find a point for any system, be it softener or other so that it can hit that peak but still do the normal every day runs with out causing problems by getting to big, to be sized soly based on that High end flow rate is going to be a head ache for the half flow of high end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks