Did I just screw up???

Users who are viewing this thread

MATTHEW1

Reaction score
I just installed a 1 1/2 horse 15 gpm Betta Flo pump at 100'...I put it on 1 1/4" Poly. and was thinking it was 160 psi and the last 20' I saw it was only 100 psi!!! Should I take it back out or?

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would rather you had 160 down there but at 100' I doubt you will have a problem with it.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
What is the max head or psi the pump can make? Are you using a CSV? Whats the water level in the well and what will be the pressure setting? Some brands of 100psi poly are pretty lousy. Have a rope on the pump?

MATTHEW1

Reaction score
The pump is a Betta Flo 1 1/2hp. 15gpm and I'll look up the specs on it. I have a CSV1Z valve also. The static water level is 55 ft and the well produces 22 gpm. The pump is set at 100' with a torque arrestor at 3' and spacers set every 10' with a rope pulled very tight. The poly is Interstate Plastics and is 1 1/4"..

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ropes have a nasty habit of rotting and getting brittle then they break and slide down the well and wrap themselves around the pump. We are required by code to use a safety rope up here so I use stainless steel cable instead and god help me if that breaks ( crossed fingers, has never happened in 25 years ) I have to agree with Gary. whether you leave the 100lb down there or not is your call. None of us would ever climb out on that limb and give you the thumbs up. It will probably be OK, but who really knows. Besides, you need the exercise :)

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Pulling it is not an emergency. Likely not even required. But the CSV will put the max head on the pipe which I suspect is over 100psi - even though it wont blow until 2 or 400 psi in cold water. I used SS cable too for awhile, but a good name USA rope does not dissolve and can rescue a pump that comes off the pipe. There is some blue chinese rope on the market that turns to soup in about a month, so beware. Technique is important. Bad installation of 160 psi pipe is far worse than good work with 100 psi pipe.

turbotech

Reaction score
I don't know why someone could do a good connection on 100 psi and not take the bit longer time to do an equally good connection on 160 or 200 psi.

I am new so this may be a dumb question. What does it take longer to make the connection to 160 or 200 psi pipe?
Are there any threads describing how to properly do all 3 PSI rating connections?

Is the connection done by warming the pipe and installing the fitting, then use two screw clamps rotated 90* apart?
I just had my pump replaced but I didn't get to see the new pump installed on the poly line so I am curious.

Last edited:

turbotech

Reaction score
Thank you for the link. I was surprised that only regular stainless steel screw clamps were used to hold the pump assembly to the poly pipe. I figured it would be more exotic. Something like the clamps I use for doing EFI fuel line or the T-bolt clamps I use for build turbocharger piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks