Sharkbite Questions Code Leaks hate em like em

Users who are viewing this thread

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Most plumbers have a minimum charge of one hr. The question becomes would you rather have a sharkbite or a soldered joint? I don't see where a sharkbite can save you hrs. of time to solder one joint.

John
The only fitting that I would use under ground copper to copper is a flare coupling.Or you could use a pack coupling.

Couch-Tuber

Reaction score
sharkbite

I tried a sharkbite 4" sleeve the other night to fix a leak. THe existing pipe was less than pristine lol and the sleeve would not seal even though it was seated down the 1" required. The pipes gotta be in very good condition and line up, which mine are not. It was a real pain trying to get the thing off again with that little collet tool. I had to assist it with an 18" prybar.

Rubber seals it what they use inside. Are you kidding me? Even if I could have gotten one to seal, I'm skeptical that these would hold up after a few years. Rubber high tech silicon etc will break down eventually. I see these as a stop gap temporary solution. They would be okay if you have ready access like a basement but hidden in the walls?

AAnderson

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like shark bites but would never use them where they are not accessible or could fail and create water damage. I have had several 3/4" tee's fail with cracks in the cast. They are an excellent stop gap repair.. Our local building inspectors do not like them,

moisheh

Reaction score
Peter Griffin should change his avatar to include Master Thief" What he really stated was that if there is a quick way to do a repair he will pick the long way to increase his billable hours. Amazing that he thinks that is honest.

Moisheh

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Tell you what. If you call me for a leaking pipe I'll slap one of these on it and I won't charge you a penny. ;) Schwinn%20Repair.jpg

Do you want it done, or do you want it done right?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
After looking at a job I charge a flat rate to do it...so all is well for me reguardless...they can take it or leave it but I get a minimum for coming out just to tell them and they won't know if I am using a sharkbite or not unless they ask...as I don't describe every fitting I am going to use to do a particular job...all they have to know is I stand behind my work...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Peter Griffin should change his avatar to include Master Thief" What he really stated was that if there is a quick way to do a repair he will pick the long way to increase his billable hours. Amazing that he thinks that is honest.

Moisheh

If you want the quick way, then toddle on down to the Depot and pick up a couple of sharkbites for yourself. You don't need to hire a plumber to slap a sharkbite on it. Anyone can do it. While you are at it, pick up a couple of those accordian tail stocks and a handful of rubber P traps and you will never have to spend a dime on a job done right ever again.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Most plumbers have a minimum charge of one hr. The question becomes would you rather have a sharkbite or a soldered joint? I don't see where a sharkbite can save you hrs. of time to solder one joint.

John

I will tell you...when you have to make a repair and the main shutoff won't close all the way and water is leaking by...you say turn the water off at the curb stop???...not if one can't be found...sorry I don't carry a nitrogen freeze set up that I can use once every 15 years or so...so I used a sharkbite...nope I don't have a jet sweat or any thing else either....not enough call to carry one on the truck...sharkbites do have a place in some situations....conpression fitting...I would rather use a sharkbite in the situation I was in than a compression fitting...

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I always had a 1/2" and a 3/4 jet swett on the truck. Just so though, why do you prefer a sharkbite over a compression union? IMO the compression coupling is a much more solid connection, not that I would do that either. The problem with sharkbites is they will leak if they are pulled on or stressed. Also I have been reading of quite a lot of O ring failures also. Granted most of them are because someone did'nt take the sharp edge off the copper before jamming it on. I have a problem with putting my faith in a piect of plastic with a couple of O rings in it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A jet sweat will only work if your installing a valve...BTW sharkbites are brass not plastic...your thinking of Watts...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Union or drain coupling. Yep, Watts are plastic. I think there is another company making plastic ones too. Maybe Gator bite?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Never needed a jet sweat for a drain...I would use a banded coupling.....a union leaves you in the same situation, unable to sweat a joint because of water, unless you are installing a valve...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Repair the leaking pipe with a solder coupling,

NO conscientious, law abiding plumber would repair an underground leak inside the house with a soft solder joint. And unless you use oxy/acetylene brazing or silver soldering in a hole is almost impossible. But it WOULD require a lot more billable time. I have not seen a Sharkbite large enough to repair a drain.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
and while Sharkbites are OK for underground repairs per the Sharkbite info. I would never use one of them for an underground repair...even if approved localy...

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
A jet sweat will only work if your installing a valve...BTW sharkbites are brass not plastic...your thinking of Watts...

We carry a jet sweat kit from 1/2"- 2". You stated you use sharkbites when a main shutoff won't close all the way so why not use a jet sweat and install a new valve. This would solve not just the imitate problem but would also solve future problems.

John

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Who said anything about underground or under slab? That be a whole different kettle o fish.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
We carry a jet sweat kit from 1/2"- 2". You stated you use sharkbites when a main shutoff won't close all the way so why not use a jet sweat and install a new valve. This would solve not just the imitate problem but would also solve future problems.

John

I asked and they didn't want to spring for a new valve....had they wanted a new valve I would have had the town find or install a new curb stop...

Eddielee

Reaction score
Give us a break

Yes I can do that myself and I can do pretty much everything my plumber can do regardless of what kind of fittings are used.

As a GC, the reason I use a plumber is the same reason I use a carpenter, a mason, an electrician and a painter. I stick to my job and let them do theirs.

I don't consider sharbites inferior to soldered fittings at all. And if the pipes cannot be completely purged of water, I consider the sharkbites to be more reliable.

Take it outside and lets get back to helpful tips!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks