Bradford White GX1-55??

Users who are viewing this thread

The Rich Dude

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been reading this forum for a while and LOVE the info. Decided I needed to make my first post:cool:

I'm building a 4800 ft 3 level home with 4.5 baths. I was going to go Noritz tankless with 2 of there 841 units but I don't want to have issues down the road. So now I was thinking of going with one of these GX1-55 units as it should be able to supply more than enough water with 200 gallons in the first hour plus it still looks like a fairly simple/typical hot water tank. What do you guys think? I'm going to have a 100 gallon tub in the ensuite that will get used occasionally but the shower will get used the most.

How long can I expect this unit to last me and what are they selling for? I keep reading on this forum guys saying they've got 15+ years from there hot water tanks but lately I've been lucky to get 6 years from my hot water tanks!:rolleyes: Whats the deal? The water up here in Vancouver is not hard at all so it can't be the water?

Any and all help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for your time.

Richard

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No one here can afford the crystal ball that tells us how long heaters will last...there are to many variables...the average could be anywhere from 6-15 years but no one really knows...the best thing you could do to attempt to lengthen the life of any water heater is to replace the anode rod every 2-3 years or when ever it stops working...that is assuming your plumbing system is properly set up...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That heater has a recovery of 86 gallons per hour, or about 1 1/2 GPM. Thus its first hour capacity is only about 140 gallons, but if your shower is less than an hour it is 55 gallons plus one and a half times the minutes you take for the shower. There is at least one model with a 200 gallon first hour rating, but it is much more costly.

The Rich Dude

Reaction score
That heater has a recovery of 86 gallons per hour, or about 1 1/2 GPM. Thus its first hour capacity is only about 140 gallons, but if your shower is less than an hour it is 55 gallons plus one and a half times the minutes you take for the shower. There is at least one model with a 200 gallon first hour rating, but it is much more costly.

Why does it say that heater has a first hour capacity of 200 gallons then?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks