Clack WS 1 programming PLEASE HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

ryanc

Reaction score
I have been exploring these forums and you all seem very knowledgable.
I have purchased and installed a Clack WS1 metered softener and it doesn't seem to be softening correctly.
We believe everything is hooked up correctly and that maybe it's just not programmed correctly.
We have emailed the company we bought from but haven't yet heard a response.

Technical Specifications
64,000 grain water softening capacity
15" X 17" X 36" brine tank
12" X 48" softener tank

We have a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 young children. 2 baths
Our water hardness is 38 and we live in the country with a well.
Can anyone please help us figure out if it's programmed correctly??!!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did the company send the WS1 and WS1.25 book with the control?

The book that I am talking about is labeled Form #V3115 – Updated 3/24/05 on the last page, there are some 59 pages to this book.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I have been exploring these forums and you all seem very knowledgable.
I have purchased and installed a Clack WS1 metered softener and it doesn't seem to be softening correctly.
We believe everything is hooked up correctly and that maybe it's just not programmed correctly.
We have emailed the company we bought from but haven't yet heard a response.

Technical Specifications
64,000 grain water softening capacity
15" X 17" X 36" brine tank
12" X 48" softener tank

We have a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 young children. 2 baths
Our water hardness is 38 and we live in the country with a well.
Can anyone please help us figure out if it's programmed correctly??!!
There are several different models of the Clack WS1 valve and there are diffences in the programming for each model. If you go to the Clack website http://www.clackcorp.com/water.htm and then click on Control valves you can see specifications for the various valves and select your model. Also on that page are manuals for the various valves and you can download the appropriate manual to get the specific programming procedures for your valve.

Have you observed a regeneration cycle and confirmed that the softener actually steps through each step of the regeneration process and that it draws the brine out of the brine tank at the appropriate time and that it refills the brine tank--either after regeneration or before regeneration depending on the programming?

You also need to tell us the complete analysis of your water if we are to help you with the programming of your valve--the total hardness, iron content, manganese content are required at a minimum but you should provide the complete analysis you have.

ryanc

Reaction score
The only thing we were given was total hardness of 38. No iron. Not sure about manganese.
I am starting to think we are way in over our heads and should have had a professional complete this whole process.
We bought this softener from Aquatell and weren't given any instruction on programming.
We brought our before and after water to a local hardware store and both were a hardness of 38 so obviously the softener
isn't working like it should. Which I think is due to the programming.

So, when we hit the Next and up button here's the setting -
Hardness of 38
Regen day 14
Regen time 2 am

Next & down button -
Softening
Regen - post fill
P 23
Capacity 52.0 X 1000
18 pds
Auto Gal
Normal

It does seem that at times we do get some soft water (just by the feel)

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
You haven't answered the following questions:

Have you observed a regeneration cycle and confirmed that the softener actually steps through each step of the regeneration process and that it draws the brine out of the brine tank at the appropriate time and that it refills the brine tank--after regeneration? Based on your settings the valve should put 6 gallons of water in the brine tank after a regeneration and it should pull those 6 gallons out of the brine tank during the regeneration process.

Last edited:

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
One additional question/comment--do you have a bypass valve on the softener and have you confirmed that the bypass valve is set so that the water is actually flowing through the softener (i.e. the softener is in service)? You can do that by a visual inspection of the bypass valve and you can also do it by checking the diagnostic screens on our valve to see that it shows that water has flowed through the valve. In the diagnostic mode you should be able to see the total gallons used since last reset among other things. With four people in the family a typical use would be about 240 gallons per day and the number you see should roughly correspond to that times the days the softener has been installed (or since it was reset).

Information about accessing the diagnostic screens is in the manual and the manual can be downloaded from the site I posted above.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
"We have a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 young children. 2 baths
Our water hardness is 38 and we live in the country with a well. "
"So, when we hit the Next and up button here's the setting -
Hardness of 38
Regen day 14
Regen time 2 am

Next & down button -
Softening
Regen - post fill
P 23
Capacity 52.0 X 1000
18 pds
Auto Gal
Normal "

Sounds like it is going on days and not gallons. With that in mind the family of four is going to use about 220 gallons.... est.... that would be about 4 days with the systems capacity of 52000.. about 1400 gallons. or it should be cleaning every 5 days.
Meter would be better, go to the web site that bob999 listed, and find the controls and then the type of unit that you have or post a photo so that we might be able to help you id the unit, down load the book and then you should be able to program it for the gallons ... and other things ..

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The only thing we were given was total hardness of 38. No iron. Not sure about manganese.
I am starting to think we are way in over our heads and should have had a professional complete this whole process.
We bought this softener from Aquatell and weren't given any instruction on programming.
We brought our before and after water to a local hardware store and both were a hardness of 38 so obviously the softener
isn't working like it should. Which I think is due to the programming.

So, when we hit the Next and up button here's the setting -
Hardness of 38
Regen day 14
Regen time 2 am

Next & down button -
Softening
Regen - post fill
P 23
Capacity 52.0 X 1000
18 pds
Auto Gal
Normal

It does seem that at times we do get some soft water (just by the feel)
I would change it to Pre, 37K, salt dose to 11.5 lbs, calendar day to 5, P20 and Normal + on 0.

That way you regenerate with 6.5 lbs less salt but based on the gallons Auto will put on the meter one day before your current programming will with 18 lbs. Which gives you much better salt efficiency and the P20 saves water.

Looking at their manual that has a picture of the front of the control valve, I don't know what version you have, it programs like a CS version but the cover is not a stock CS, so the circuit board is not going to be either and both will be proprietary to them.

You also have less than the minimum 50% freeboard space that resin manufacturers call for because they sold you a 48" high tank instead of a 52" tank. With that size tank, you probably don't have a gravel underbed either and that will increase the pressure loss across the softener. I see nothing about programming the dealer side of the control in their manual.

How long have you had the softener?

Has it used salt? What type salt do you use; pellet or solar crystal?

ryanc

Reaction score
Our unit is the one pictured that has the 5 buttons on the front -WS 1
Set Time, Next, Up arrow, Down Arrow, Regen.
We use Salt Pellets

I appreciate all your help -Gary I will try those settings tonight when I get home.

Attachments

• ws125.jpg
    ws125.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,612

ryanc

Reaction score
Great. Thanks so much for everyone's help. I went ahead and changed the settings
to your specifications Gary. Hopefully it will work better now.
If anyone else has any tips they are appreciated.
Thanks Again

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You may want to do 2 back to back regenerations after setting your salt to 30 lbs. No water use during or between the 2. After getting 60+ lbs of salt in the salt tank and having another 60+ lbs (EDIT, that should be 30 lbs) on the floor for after the second one, start the first at 7PM and when done around 10+PM, check that there is 60+ lbs (EDIT should be 40 lbs) of salt in the salt tank and push the Regn Button in and let go, Regen Today will be flashing on the display, and go to bed. The next morning set the salt dose lbs back to 11.5 lbs.

That regenerates all the resin in case you have allowed the salt get too low or run it out etc.. An dwe have not figured out why the softener wasn't giving you soft water consistently.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
How big is this unit?
5 cubic feet?
60lbs for what reason?
Never in my 20 years have I heard such a thing....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks