moving closet flange sanitary t or wye?

Users who are viewing this thread

akmacs

Reaction score
Hi, I am moving a closet flange and had a question regarding which abs fitting to use when reconnecting to the vent stack.

I will be cutting the vent line a bit below the subfloor and drain line to the right of the 90 degree fitting. I will then install a new coupler and run new abs pipe out to the left, reconnect to the vent line and go out through the drywall which leads into my garage (I will box it in and cover with fire rated drywall) and come back up through the floor and up to the left side of the joist it used to sit next to. You can see where the floor joist was notched a bit for the old closet flange.

From what I have read a sanitary t could be used as it is connecting only to a vent line. Any reason to use one over the other?

Hope my explanation makes sense, I was going to add text to the photos but forgot to install photoshop on the laptop :mad:

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• underfloorold.jpg
    underfloorold.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,232
  • olddrainview.JPG
    olddrainview.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 834
  • oldtoiletdrainpipe.jpg
    oldtoiletdrainpipe.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 735

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
I think you are planning on using a san tee on its back in place of the existing 90? We're not allowed to use a san tee on its back here. We would use a combo (wye,45 combination).

akmacs

Reaction score
I think you are planning on using a san tee on its back in place of the existing 90? We're not allowed to use a san tee on its back here. We would use a combo (wye,45 combination).

If I used the sanitary t it would lay on its back. I wondered if that would be ok as I have read a couple threads here that said it violates code in most places. So it would be best to use a fitting like is in the photo below? I think I would need a 90 and not a 45 as my vent is straight up from the horizontal drain line.

Attachments

• abswye.jpg
    abswye.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 682

akmacs

Reaction score
dcelite, I reread your post again and I think what you are saying is to use the wye and then a 45 also?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You misunderstood when a sanitary tee can be used. It can be used in a VERTICAL line, regardless of whether it is "just a vent" or not. It CANNOT be used in a horizontal drain line, period, at least under most codes.

akmacs

Reaction score
dcelite and HJ, I will use a wye and not a sanitary tee, does it make a difference if I use a wye/45 with another 45 or a wye/90?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• abswye.jpg
    abswye.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 639
  • wye45.jpg
    wye45.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 700
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks