Anyone ever seen a......

Users who are viewing this thread

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey guys,

Have any of you ever seen a gas HWT installed in a crawl space? A customer wants to move his furnace and gas hot water tank to his crawl space. The furnace shouldn't be a problem but I would really like to find a gas HWT that is meant to be installed on it's side! I only have 52" from concrete slab to the bottom of the floor joists.

If anyone can help me out with some suggestions I would really appreciate it!

Thanks guys

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the "old days" they made stubby gas water heaters for crawl space installations, but now, the shortest is a 48" 30 gallon model. NONE can be installed on their side, and there are many reasons why it cannot be done.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry I don't know of any...

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Lochinvar has some shorter commercial heaters but I think the lowest BTU is 90K and being commercial and Lochinvar might make it priced right out of consideration.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
In the "old days" they made stubby gas water heaters for crawl space installations, but now, the shortest is a 48" 30 gallon model. NONE can be installed on their side, and there are many reasons why it cannot be done.

I would be looking for a tank SPECIFICALLY designed to be installed horizontal. I have never seen a gas tank like this (seen electrics though). I can definitely understand why they don't make them...

I guess I'll have to try and sell this guy on a tankless model. Either than or he's going to an electric whether he likes it or not :p

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You might take a look at one of these...
Pricey but it may bee better than tankless in colder climates...
They are short enough to fit and the fact they are condensing makes venting a bit easier...
http://www.bostonheatingsupply.com/eternalparts.aspx/pdf/downloads/Eternal_Catalog.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks