Water heater on uninsulated slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Lightwave

Reaction score
What are the energy use implications of installing an electric water heater on an uninsulated slab on grade basement floor?

Is it worth building an insulated platform to keep the tank off the floor or are typical water heaters insulated well enough for conduction losses through the floor to be a non-issue?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is very little heat loss through the bottom or, anywhere else for that matter on a new foam insulated electric water heater.

Although some here would propose that you spend 50 bucks to save a nickel.:rolleyes:

Look out here they come!:eek:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Leave well enough alone and don't touch a thing.
You'll probably replace it soon enough.

Reaction score
There was a recent discussion of this topic. Contrary to Redwood's assertions (he's not shown any aptitude at econ or heat loss calcs), there has been no call to use them here, but according to Terry and others they are required by code in some areas. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?33770-foam-block-under-water-heater

As to how long your tank will last, depends on the water, usage, and unknown factors in the production of the tank itself. Beware the BW shilling...for some the answer to every question seems to be to replace it with a BW water heater regardless of age or expense.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I would insulate the pipes, if they are not already, and call it a day. Conduction losses through the bottom of the tank would be way down on the list. When you do replace the tank, that would be an easier time to do the platform if you still wanted to do it at that time.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There was a recent discussion of this topic. Contrary to Redwood's assertions (he's not shown any aptitude at econ or heat loss calcs), there has been no call to use them here, but according to Terry and others they are required by code in some areas. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?33770-foam-block-under-water-heater

As to how long your tank will last, depends on the water, usage, and unknown factors in the production of the tank itself. Beware the BW shilling...for some the answer to every question seems to be to replace it with a BW water heater regardless of age or expense.

So I take it your advice would be go ahead disconnect a 12 year old water heater lift it up and insulate then reconnect...
Keep on giving the bad advice and I'll have to put your famous quotes in my signature.
You are getting to be just a little too much of a Bozo...
Try sticking to what you know as little as that may be...

Nuke Man's advice on insulating the pipes is always good advice.

Reaction score
So I take it your advice would be go ahead disconnect a 12 year old water heater lift it up and insulate then reconnect...
Keep on giving the bad advice and I'll have to put your famous quotes in my signature.
You are getting to be just a little too much of a Bozo...
Try sticking to what you know as little as that may be...

Nuke Man's advice on insulating the pipes is always good advice.

That was an idiotic post even for you. Once again you demonstrate a lack of basic reading comprehension. I said in the referenced thread that I saw no point to the insulation pad for electric. Your beef is with Terry I guess since he pointed out that they do reduce corrosion of the base next to the ground.

Unlike you, I (and other engineers) can actually do the calcs to determine whether or not something make sense. Beats winging it with poor information as you are prone to do.

Try sticking to what you know--which apparently ain't much. Right now it doesn't appear you could reason your way out of a paper bag.

Reaction score
There is very little heat loss through the bottom or, anywhere else for that matter on a new foam insulated electric water heater.
Gee, that would be what I've said...

Although some here would propose that you spend 50 bucks to save a nickel.:rolleyes:

Look out here they come!:eek:

And that would be what you typically propose: replace a working water heater with a new one to fix a problem you've misdiagnosed. Spending ~$800 for what is most often a free repair is an even worse return than spending "50 bucks to save a nickel." With pipe insulation and insulating blankets on the typical R8 gas water heater the return is pretty good, about 50% annually on the jacket. (Loved how you completely misread that BW liability boilerplate, but as I've been pointing out: reading comprehension/judgement is not your strong suit.)

Nice try on the strawman, but as usual you have it bass ackwards.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Bison maybe this link will help...

If you can read the post maybe you would comprehend what was said...

PFFFFSSSSST

redwood-05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightwave

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for all the input.

I'm not going to lift the current tank but when I redo the room and replace the tank, the new tank will be on an insulated floor rather than on the bare slab.

The near tank piping is already insulated.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A Wise Choice!

I would consider insulating all the hot pipes you have access to not just the pipes near the tank.
There is more savings there than under the tank insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks