culligan Medallist will not regenerate

Users who are viewing this thread

phal

Reaction score
I have a Culligan Medallist 8 With Soft Minder.
Everything was going along fine and we started noticing the water was no longer soft. I tried twice to regenerate manually but it doesn't work.
I have went thru the manual and the settings are correct.
The bypass valve is not in bypass.
The power supply is plugged in and it is full of salt.

Can someone give me some troubleshooting hints?
I am a mechanic and would like to give it a shot myself if possible..
thanks...gary

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the front you should see 2 phillp head screws, that holds that cover on the control.

Once that is off , push the regen button and hold , if the motor turns, great, if not, check wires, female and male spades make sure that the are on..

If the motor runs, look under that silver metal plate and make sure that the piston that is in that carage is moving, if not then that is the challenge..

Let me know.. I will check in later today.

phal

Reaction score
No motor turning

I have power to the unit, but when I hit the Regen button nothing at all happens.
There is a motor inside.
Once I hit regen, this should turn right?
I checked with a ammeter and there is no power coming from the contol board to the motor.
It says REG on the screen, if the motor was bad I would have a power at the motor leads right?
thanks....gary

Last edited:

phal

Reaction score
On the front you should see 2 phillp head screws, that holds that cover on the control.

Once that is off , push the regen button and hold , if the motor turns, great, if not, check wires, female and male spades make sure that the are on..

If the motor runs, look under that silver metal plate and make sure that the piston that is in that carage is moving, if not then that is the challenge..

Let me know.. I will check in later today.

Thanks for the reply Akpsdvan . I should have some kind of signal from the leads on the motor right?

I have checked ac and dc, there is no power at the motor at all. The leads from the motor go to an electonic board with nothing in between.

There are no fuses anywhere I can see unless they are the underside of the board. That area is not viewable without removing the board.

I could remove the board and check that I guess, but the absence of a fuse would probably mean a bad board huh?

thanks...gary

phal

Reaction score
I dont know what I did

I dont know what I did, but it came on.

I unplugged it and pulled the board to check for a fuse, wiggled the connectors and no fuse so I replaced the board.

I plugged it back in and hit regen and it started. Now this does not mean it will complete, but it is more than what I had before.

If I do not get soft water I will repost...thanks...gary

phal

Reaction score
Is this right?

Ok, here's what happened. I got it to start the regeneration cycle, but it would only put water out of the drain hose.I tasted this water and it is fresh, no brine. No water was entering the brine tank and even after removing outlet power from the control, the water continued to run out of the drain hose. I pulled the small line I believe fills/drains the brine tank and nothing came out. I had to bypass the softener to get the flow to stop from the drain hose.
There is maybe a foot of water in the brine tank at this time.
thanks...gary

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the little connection of wires that are in the harness and hook on the board might had not a good connection and that you have it fixed.

Cycle of the Culligan be it older one or of of the newer ones..

Backwash
Brine Draw/Rinse
Brine Refill/Rapid Rinse.
The backwash is about 10 minutes then the brine draw/slow rinse for about 50 minutes followed by the brine tank refill til the float stops the fill and while that is going on it is doing a rapid rinse.

Last edited:

phal

Reaction score
so

so the water running from the drain is correct? It should run 10 minutes and then stop right?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It will run strong or about 3 gpm for about 10 minutes and then slow down to about .5gpm for about 50 minutes, if the injector is working right and you undo the nut at that end of the 3/8 black tube and put our finger over the end it should pull the finger into the tube..
Then the next part of the cycle it will refill the brine tank and do a rapid rinse 3gpm at the same time, once the brine tank has its water it will stop that part(because of float) while conitnuing the rapid rinse for a few more minutes.

phal

Reaction score
It appears to be woring

It finally shut off! I sent it thru the cycle again and we will know how it worked tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Gary

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can know with in a few minutes.

take a jar of cold water and put some soap in it, shake (with lid on) and if the water is clear and there is foam on top of the water that is a good sign that the softener is working right.

elee325

Reaction score
You can know with in a few minutes.

take a jar of cold water and put some soap in it, shake (with lid on) and if the water is clear and there is foam on top of the water that is a good sign that the softener is working right.
I did the test but not sure how much you have to wait for the water to clear and also how clear. I did have foam on top. Interesting test. Question: my Culligan Gold 12 series stopped regenerating automatically. It does regenerate manually. Tor has been reset a multiple times. Help? Thx,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks