Any risks to merging two 3/4" copper water supplies? (using T fitting)

Users who are viewing this thread

CJ-8_Jim

Reaction score
I’m splicing in another water filter in parallel to existing filter (to double velocity).

Does anyone foresee any problems (performance or otherwise) with merging two ¾†copper water supplies into one using a “T†fitting?
That is, one supply will come into the “T†from the left and the other supply will come in from the bottom.

Thanks for your input.
Jim

It will roughly look like this when done:

Attachments

• Water Filter plumbing.jpg
    Water Filter plumbing.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 509

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What are you trying to filter out? Cartridge filters are generally bad news as they harbor the growth of bacteria and must be replaced constantly. A backwashing filter is almost always more appropriate. If you need more filtration, it's time to start finding out why rather than just adding more filters.

CJ-8_Jim

Reaction score
Still looking for an answer -- can anyone advise?

What are you trying to filter out? If you need more filtration, it's time to start finding out why rather than just adding more filters.
Sorry you are confused -- perhaps the diagram is not clear that I'm adding a filter in parallel. As you probably know, doing so does not increase filtration, but will increase velocity (which is my goal).

i don't use copper on well lines. You can do that if you want...
Why are you assuming the well is copper?

The house was built in 1969. The whole house is copper except the well.

Are you suggesting I hire a plumber like yourself to replace all the copper pipes in the house? Do you believe that is necessary? (Though it would be profitable for you.)

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I see no problem except the the new filter will receive more flow that the current filter as there is a shorter path on both sides of the filter. To better balance, you could bring the feed between them with a tee and use an elbow for the new filter. Then do the same on the outlet side.

With the current layout, the new filter may need to be replaced before the other filter as it will be a greater % of the flow (difference may be small, though).

CJ-8_Jim

Reaction score
Thanks much. I was guessing that too -- maybe I'll just T them off evenly (but that's adding more right angles which impact flow).

Jastori

Reaction score
The restriction in flow due to the 3/4" T's will be negligible compared to the restriction from the filter itself. Balancing the piping on both sides is the ideal way to do it, although likely a minimal difference as well.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
filter

There is almost NO advantage to piping it any differently than your original drawing. The flows will automatically balance themselves as one filter starts to accumulate more "debris" than the other.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks