Kenmore water softner: Water going in drain pipe continuously

Users who are viewing this thread

gagan

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a Kenmore water softner Ultrasoft 425. Suddenly the water started going in drainpipe and does not stop even when i unplug the softner. I have tp do water bypass to stop the water from going to drain pipe. Also, when i try to turn on the softner the machine shows err1.

Can anyone help solving the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Gagan

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a Kenmore water softner Ultrasoft 425. Suddenly the water started going in drainpipe and does not stop even when i unplug the softner. I have tp do water bypass to stop the water from going to drain pipe. Also, when i try to turn on the softner the machine shows err1.

Can anyone help solving the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Gagan

Sounds like it is hung in a cleaning cycle.

Unplugging the softener will not change where the valve is at, thus if it is in backwash that is where it will stay.

You got the ERR 1 when you plugged it back in?

Have you tried to push the regen button and hold to get the system to cycle?

Last edited:

gagan

Reaction score
Hi Akpsdvan,

Thanks for replying. Yes, i got err1 after plugging back the machine. I have to keep it unplugged and have to do water bypass otherwise the water keeps going in drain pipe. What can i do to fix the problem?

Gagan

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you push the Reg Now button will the unit go into a cycle?

Do you have the book for the unit?

gagan

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried the "Recharge now" option and that did not solve the problem. The machine did not go into a cycle and after a while it showed "Err1"

Gagan

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,

I tried the "Recharge now" option and that did not solve the problem. The machine did not go into a cycle and after a while it showed "Err1"

Gagan

Sorry that I did not get back to you sooner, was on a service call most of the day, 2.5 hours of driving and 2 on site,,, joys of an Iron filter...

Pull the cover off the unit, look at the silver wheel with the teeth, there are letters on it and there is white plastic that forms an arrow.. what letter is lined up with that?

Make sure that the male/female wire contacts are good and fully on the male spade.

It is possible that the motor that turns that metal wheel with the teeth is dead.. age of the unit? any photos of the unit with the cover off?

gagan

Reaction score
Hi Akpsdvan,

Sorry for the late response. Could not get the pictures yesterday.

I tried looking for the arrow you had asked for, but could not locate it. I have taken some pictures and am attaching those. Hopefully that will help.

I have some more pictures. Will attach them with another message.

Gagan

Attachments

• CIMG3752.jpg
    CIMG3752.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4,082
  • CIMG3750.jpg
    CIMG3750.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 4,992
  • CIMG3751.jpg
    CIMG3751.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 3,889
  • CIMG3755.jpg
    CIMG3755.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,622
  • CIMG3753.jpg
    CIMG3753.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 3,541

gagan

Reaction score
More pictures.

Attachments

• CIMG3760.jpg
    CIMG3760.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,311
  • CIMG3763.jpg
    CIMG3763.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 3,396
  • CIMG3756.jpg
    CIMG3756.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,440
  • CIMG3757.jpg
    CIMG3757.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,545
  • CIMG3758.jpg
    CIMG3758.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3,403

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you look at the silver wheel, you see the BW letters? they look to be lined up with the areo that I speek of, with that motor off, turn that silver wheel clock wise to where the S lines up with the plastic part that the BW is now lined up with.

When you have that done you should be able to carefully put the bypass piston back into service .. check to see if water continues to flow to the drain.

When that is done, push and hold the recharge button and see if the motor works, if the motor does not turn or work then it is time for the motor to be replaced.

gagan

Reaction score
Will try it today evening and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for helping out with this. :)

Gagan

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a problem.
I will check in later, I need to get out and take care of some items and see some people.

But right now I would have to say that the Motor is the most likely trouble child.

gagan

Reaction score
Hi Akpsdvan,

I tried rotating the silver wheel but it does not move. Looks like it is jammed. Also, there is a lot of metalic dust around the wheel. If you look closely, it is visible in the pictures.

Thanks
Gagan

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the wheel will not turn, then yes the disc may have jammed up because of some thing and will need to be replaced.
Some of the dust is normal, but after a point is it a sign that the motor is stripped out on the in side as the teeth do not look broken.
Depending on the age of the unit Sears kinda has you in a spot.
Cost of motor, Disc, seals and time could run 60% of what the unit cost.

Do you have the book ?

gagan

Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like i will have to call the Sears service guys. Which book are you talking about?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks